Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Orlando Solar Bears (37-25-4-1) rallied from a 2-0 deficit in the third period for an incredible 3-2 comeback win over the South Carolina Stingrays (32-31-5-1) on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum to clinch a spot in the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Click here for the box score.
Patrick Gaul opened the scoring for the Stingrays with a backhand goal at the right circle that beat Connor Ingram at 18:28 of the first period.
Mason Mitchell extended South Carolina's lead to 2-0 at 5:41 of the second period when Jonathan Charbonneau's shot struck the post and rebounded to Mitchell at the right circle.
The Solar Bears began the comeback at 1:47 of the third frame as Tayler Thompson snapped a shot from the right circle past the blocker of Parker Milner to get Orlando on the board and give Thompson his seventh of the season.
The Solar Bears then tied the score at 2-2 at 5:21 when Troy Bourke's shot struck the right post and bounced off of Chris LeBlanc into the net for LeBlanc's ninth of the season.
Orlando took its first lead of the night at 10:39 when Thompson won a face-off back to Michael Brodzinski, whose shot from the blue line was tipped past Milner by Alex Schoenborn for his ninth of the season.
Ingram picked up the win with 35 saves on 37 shots against; Milner took the loss with 30 stops on 33 shots against.
1) Tayler Thompson - ORL
2) Patrick Gaul - SC
3) Connor Ingram - ORL
The win ensured Orlando its third consecutive trip to the ECHL postseason, and fifth overall in seven seasons of operation.
Orlando's magic number to clinch second place in the South Division - and ensure home ice advantage for the South Division Semifinals - is four points.
The win marked the sixth time this season that Orlando has achieved victory when trailing after the second period, which is the second-most among all ECHL clubs. The Maine Mariners lead the ECHL with seven wins when trailing after the second frame.
LeBlanc's goal gives the forward a two-game goal streak (2g).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears complete their five-game road trip when the team visits the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Sunday, March 31, at 3 p.m. The Solar Bears return to the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center to host the Jacksonville Icemen on Tuesday, April 2 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for this game.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Orlando Solar Bears and Pizza Hut Team up to Help Central Florida Families in Need
- Solar Bears Purple Jersey Auction Now Live
- Solar Bears to Auction Jerseys to Benefit ECHL Players Beginning May 6
- Orlando Solar Bears to Sell Face Coverings and T-Shirts to Benefit Feeding Children Everywhere
- PHPA and ECHL Announce COVID-19 Relief Fund for ECHL Players