Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale
Indianapolis, IN- The Cincinnati Cyclones (49-12-4-3) upended the Indy Fuel, 4-3 on Saturday night, in the finale of their 12-game season series. Forwards Myles Powell, Spencer Dorowicz, Brady Vail, and Justin Vaive netted the goals for the Cyclones, who move to within two points of the Brabham Cup as the ECHL regular season champions.
After the Fuel took a 1-0 lead early in the first on a goal from Radovan Bondra, the Cyclones evened the game at the 8:56 mark, when forward Shaw Boomhower threw a pass from the left corner to Powell who was coming down the slot, and he rifled a shot in to tie the game, 1-1. Cincinnati took the lead 20 seconds later when Dorowicz brought the buck from behind the net and scored on a wrap-around, putting the 'Clones ahead, 2-1.
The momentum was short-lived, as with under four minutes remaining Fuel forward Logan Nelson found the back of the net off a Cyclones defender to tie the game, 2-2, heading into the first intermission.
The 2-2 score held up throughout the entirety of the second, and in the third Indy took a 3-2 lead when forward Ryan Rupert netted his 24 thgoal of the season at the 3:44 mark.
Cincinnati got back on track 3:04 later when Vail took a pass in the right circle, and he snapped a shot into the top right corner off the post to tie the game, 3-3. Roughly a minute and a half later Cincinnati scored again when Vaive crashed the net following a scrum in front, and he jammed in the loose puck to give the Cyclones the lead back, 4-3.
The Fuel peppered the Cyclones net for the remainder of the contest, including a flurry of shots in the final seconds, however the Cincinnati defense held strong, blocking five shot opportunities to preserve the Cyclones 4-3 win.
Cincinnati was outshot, 34-23 on the night, with goaltender Ty Rimmer stopping 31 in the win. The Cyclones wrap up their two-game weekend on Sunday afternoon against the Toledo Walleye. Face-off is scheduled for 5:15pm ET in Toledo.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.