Phantoms Re-Sign All-Star Forward Greg Carey
Lehigh Valley, Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms, proud AHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, have announced that they have signed forward Greg Carey to a one-year AHL contract.
Carey, 29, has spent the last three seasons with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. In 2018-19, Carey set a career-high with 61 points (second most in Lehigh Valley history) and led the Phantoms with 29 goals in 74 games. It was his fourth consecutive season with at least 25 goals. He finished fourth in the American Hockey League in power-play goals and was selected to the 2018-19 All-Star Classic where he won the Hardest Shot Competition.
"I am so happy to be back with the Phantoms for another year," said Carey on his return. "October can't come soon enough!"
A native of Hamilton, Ontario, Carey has led the Phantoms in goals each of the last three seasons and finished tied for fourth in the AHL last season with 31 tallies and sixth in the league during 2016-17 with 28. He is the all-time goals leader in Lehigh Valley Phantoms history and ranks fourth in Phantoms overall history. During his time in Lehigh Valley, Carey has played 220 games and racked up 165 points on 88 goals and 77 assists. He has played a total of 326 AHL games in his career with the Portland Pirates, Springfield Falcons and Lehigh Valley Phantoms and has totaled 216 points (117G, 99A).
"I know the Phantoms organization along with our fans are excited to have Greg back for this upcoming season," said Phantoms owner, Rob Brooks. "Greg has played a big role for the Phantoms - along with his big shot nicknamed the 'Hamilton Howitzer', he also has a big heart, volunteering and participating in many of the Phantoms community initiatives."
"Greg has become a fan favorite in the Lehigh Valley and we are happy to bring him back for another season," added Jim Brooks. "By keeping Greg we were able to keep a good veteran leader and one of the best goal scorers in the league."
Prior to turning pro, Carey was a four-year standout at St. Lawrence University, totaling 84 goals, 101 assists for 185 points in 152 career games. Carey was a two-time Hobey Bank Award Finalist (2012-13 and 2013-14) given to the top NCAA men's ice hockey player. He was named ECAC Player of the Year in 2013-14 and a member of the All-ECAC Hockey First Team in 2012-13 and 2013-14.
Season tickets offering a wide range of benefits as well as 21-Game and 13-Game plans are available by calling the Phantoms at 610-224-GOAL (4625).
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms forward Greg Carey
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 1, 2019
- New Jersey Devils Sign Street, Tennyson, Mermis to Two-Way Contracts - Binghamton Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Zachary Fucale to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Blues Agree to Two-Way Contracts with Six Players - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Re-Sign All-Star Forward Greg Carey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Sign Cameron Schilling to a One-Year Contract - Manitoba Moose
- Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with Defensemen Tommy Cross & Ethan Prow - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Sign Forward Sam Vigneault to One-Year AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Golden Knights Sign Six, Including Brandon Pirri - Chicago Wolves
- Capitals Re-Sign Goaltender Vitek Vanecek to Three-Year Deal - Hershey Bears
- Rocket Agrees to Terms with William Pelletier - Laval Rocket
- Sens Ink Szwarz to Two-Way Deal - Belleville Senators
- LA Kings Add Ryan, Frk - Ontario Reign
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Reece Scarlett and Center Tanner Kero - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Three Players to One-Year, Two-Way Contracts - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Tyler Sikura - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Sign Cal O'Reilly to Two-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Sign Vincent LoVerde, Tom McCollum and Harry Zolnierczyk - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Sign Brandon Davidson to One Year Two-Way Contract - Stockton Heat
- Flames Sign Byron Froese to To One Year Two-Way Contract - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Luke Witkowski to Two-Year, Two-Way Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forwards Greg McKegg and Danny O'Regan - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Griffins Sign Spezia and Kestner to One-Year Deals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Joe Palmer Hired as Syracuse Crunch Goaltending & Video Coach - Syracuse Crunch
- Predators Sign AHL MVP Daniel Carr - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Sign Forward Ryan Schmelzer to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Capitals Sign Forward Philippe Maillet to Two-Year Deal - Hershey Bears
- Flyers Sign Forward Kurtis Gabriel to One-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flyers Sign Defenseman Nate Prosser to Two-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Ink Dea to Two-Year Deal - Rochester Americans
- Dalton Smith Returns for Third Season in Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Sabres, Gilmour Agree to One-Year Deal - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Sign Lazar to One-Year Contract - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Sign Goaltender Hammond - Rochester Americans
- Stars Sign Goaltender Landon Bow to 1-Year Contract - Texas Stars
- Sens Acquire Carcone in Multi-Player Trade with Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.