Sens Acquire Carcone in Multi-Player Trade with Toronto
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today the club has acquired defenceman Nikita Zaitsev, forward Connor Brown and forward Michael Carcone from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for defenceman Cody Ceci, defenceman Ben Harpur, forward Aaron Luchuk and Columbus' third-round selection in the 2020 NHL Draft (previously acquired by Ottawa).
"We're bringing in two highly competitive players that we like as long-term fits for our team. Both are the type of true professionals who match with the culture we want to put in place here in Ottawa," said general manager Pierre Dorion. "Nikita is a physical right-shot defenceman who defends hard, fills lanes and blocks shots. Connor has scored 20 goals in the league and is excellent on the forecheck and the penalty kill. We feel both players will add to our depth and fit well within the structure we want our team to play."
Zaitsev, aged 27, scored three goals and added 11 assists for 14 points while averaging 20:28 of time on ice with the Toronto Maple Leafs last season. The Moscow native has played in three NHL seasons, scoring 12 goals and adding 51 assists for 63 points in 223 games. He has also appeared in 18 playoff games with Toronto over the last three seasons.
The 6-2, 193-pound, Zaitsev played for his native Russia at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and represented his country at the IIHF World Championships in 2013, 2016, 2018 and 2019, winning bronze in both 2016 and 2019. He also played for Russia at the 2010 and 2011 IIHF World Junior Championships, winning gold in 2011.
Zaitsev signed with Toronto as a free agent on May 2, 2016, after leading CSKA Moscow (KHL) defencemen in goals and points in both 2014-15 and 2015-16. In both seasons before his arrival in the NHL, he was named to the KHL's First All-Star team.
Brown, aged 25, scored eight goals and added 21 assists for 29 points, while playing in all 82 games for Toronto for the third consecutive season. The 6-0, 183-pound Toronto native has played in 253 career NHL games, all with Toronto, scoring 43 goals and adding 56 assists for 99 points. He played all 16 Maple Leafs playoff games over the last three seasons.
Selected by Toronto in the sixth round (156th overall) in the 2012 NHL Draft, Brown led all AHL rookies with 61 points and was an AHL All-Star in his one full AHL season with the Toronto Marlies in 2014-15. In his final year of junior hockey, Brown led the entire Canadian Hockey League in points (128) with Erie in 2013-14.
An undrafted free agent, Carcone was signed by the Vancouver Canucks in July of 2016, playing parts of three seasons with the Utica Comets before being dealt to Toronto on Dec. 3, 2018, in exchange for Josh Leivo. In 62 AHL games last season, the right winger set career highs in goals (20), assists (24) and points (44).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 1, 2019
- New Jersey Devils Sign Street, Tennyson, Mermis to Two-Way Contracts - Binghamton Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Zachary Fucale to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Blues Agree to Two-Way Contracts with Six Players - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Re-Sign All-Star Forward Greg Carey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Jets Sign Cameron Schilling to a One-Year Contract - Manitoba Moose
- Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with Defensemen Tommy Cross & Ethan Prow - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Sign Forward Sam Vigneault to One-Year AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Golden Knights Sign Six, Including Brandon Pirri - Chicago Wolves
- Capitals Re-Sign Goaltender Vitek Vanecek to Three-Year Deal - Hershey Bears
- Rocket Agrees to Terms with William Pelletier - Laval Rocket
- Sens Ink Szwarz to Two-Way Deal - Belleville Senators
- LA Kings Add Ryan, Frk - Ontario Reign
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Reece Scarlett and Center Tanner Kero - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Three Players to One-Year, Two-Way Contracts - Syracuse Crunch
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Tyler Sikura - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Sign Cal O'Reilly to Two-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Sign Vincent LoVerde, Tom McCollum and Harry Zolnierczyk - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Sign Brandon Davidson to One Year Two-Way Contract - Stockton Heat
- Flames Sign Byron Froese to To One Year Two-Way Contract - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Luke Witkowski to Two-Year, Two-Way Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forwards Greg McKegg and Danny O'Regan - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Griffins Sign Spezia and Kestner to One-Year Deals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Joe Palmer Hired as Syracuse Crunch Goaltending & Video Coach - Syracuse Crunch
- Predators Sign AHL MVP Daniel Carr - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Sign Forward Ryan Schmelzer to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Capitals Sign Forward Philippe Maillet to Two-Year Deal - Hershey Bears
- Flyers Sign Forward Kurtis Gabriel to One-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flyers Sign Defenseman Nate Prosser to Two-Year Deal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sabres Ink Dea to Two-Year Deal - Rochester Americans
- Dalton Smith Returns for Third Season in Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Sabres, Gilmour Agree to One-Year Deal - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Sign Lazar to One-Year Contract - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Sign Goaltender Hammond - Rochester Americans
- Stars Sign Goaltender Landon Bow to 1-Year Contract - Texas Stars
- Sens Acquire Carcone in Multi-Player Trade with Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.