Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins made it four wins in a row with a 4-1 win against the Springfield Thunderbirds on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (9-5-1-1) took an early lead early and then latched down in the second and third periods. Casey DeSmith saw his two-game shutout streak come to an end, but he recorded a season-high 41 saves to help the Penguins secure victory.
The Penguins opened up the first period with a goal merely 49 seconds into the game when Andrew Agozzino poked the puck across the goal line after it slipped through the pads of goalie Chris Driedger.
Springfield tied the game less than three minutes later with a deposit from Blaine Byron. Bryron's goal also halted Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's multi-game shutout streak at 187 minutes and six seconds.
Not to be denied, Agozzino struck again before the first period came to an end. Agozzino was set up in the slot with a spinning pass from the corner by Stefan Noesen, and Agozzino lifted the puck over Driedger's glove at 16:14 of the opening frame. Sam Miletic also notched his second assist of the game on Agozzino's second tally.
Springfield began the second stanza with a minute and 42-second two-man advantage, and then an additional 2:04 of power-play time after that due to a double-minor for high-sticking. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton passed this test with flying colors, allowing few shots during the elongated power play. The Penguins' penalty kill ended up going a perfect seven-for-seven on the night.
Kevin Czuczman extended the Penguins' lead to 3-1 with his first goal of the season at 5:42 of the second period. Later, Ryan Haggerty tacked on an insurance marker in the form of an empty-net goal with 1:02 left in regulation.
Driedger recorded 31 saves on 34 shots faced for the Thunderbirds.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 16, against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Puck drop between the Penguins and Phantoms is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.