Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were surpassed by the Utica Comets, 5-2, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
The Crunch tied the game twice off goals from Alex Barre-Boulet and Boris Katchouk, but couldn't catch the Comets and move to 7-6-2-0 on the season. Utica takes a 2-1-0-0 lead in the 12-game season series.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 17-of-21 in net for the Crunch before being relieved by Scott Wedgewood to start the third period. Wedgewood turned aside all seven shots he faced. Zane McIntyre earned the win with 21 saves in net for the Comets. Syracuse converted on 2-of-9 power play opportunities and went 6-for-8 on the penalty kill.
The Comets opened scoring with a power-play goal 12:14 into the first period. After Kole Lind took the face off, Reid Boucher grabbed the puck and scored from the right circle.
The Crunch evened the score with a power-play goal of their own late in the opening frame. Chris Mueller skated the puck into the zone down the right-wing boards and dropped it back for Cameron Gaunce. He fed Barre-Boulet for a slap shot from the left point.
Utica went back on top 13:07 into the middle stanza with another power-play marker. Nikolay Goldobin centered a puck for Lind to redirect from the slot. Brogan Rafferty recorded the secondary helper.
Syracuse climbed back for a second time to tie the game two minutes later on the man-advantage. Ross Colton chased the puck down behind the net and sent it back out front for Katchouk to send in with a quick stick. Taylor Raddysh earned a point on the play.
Boucher potted his second of the night one minute later when he threw the puck from a sharp angle that snuck behind Martin with the help of Goldobin and Mitch Eliot. With 2:20 remaining in the second period, the Comets built a two-goal lead. Francis Perron took a shot from the right point for Carter Bancks to redirect in from between the circles.
Boucher completed the hat trick with an empty-netter late in the third to lock in a Utica victory.
The Crunch host the Cleveland Monsters for Hockey Fights Cancer Night tomorrow at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Alex Barre-Boulet has eight goals in 15 games this season. He leads the team with five power-play goals...Cameron Gaunce is on a three-game points streak (1g, 2a).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Present Donation to Upstate University Hospital
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Nikita Pavlychev to AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Free Agent Defenseman Sean Day
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season