Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle
Friday, November 15, 2019
Arena: Stockton Arena | Stockton, California
Date: Friday, November 15
Time: 7:00 p.m. PST
Broadcast: Watch tonight's game on AHLTV or hear Stockton's radio call on Spreaker and iHeartRadio. Listeners in the Stockton area can hear the game on Fox Sports Radio 1280.
Join The Conversation: For live, in-game tweets, follow the Heat on Twitter. Join the conversation by replying to our updates or using the hashtag #STKvsTUC.
Chase Chevrolet Big Moment of the Game Puck: Stay tuned on Twitter following the game for a chance to enter to win a puck signed by Andrew Nielsen with our Chase Chevrolet Big Moment of the Game selection!
The Stockton Heat look to slow the Tucson Roadrunners Friday night at Stockton Arena, the fourth meeting of the season between the teams. Tucson has narrowly edged out Stockton in all three prior meetings this season with a hat trick of one-goal victories, one of which came in overtime and one in a shootout.
In the teams' last meeting, the Roadrunners jumped out to a 5-1 lead before holding on late for a 7-6 victory on home ice. The Heat comeback was highlighted by three goals from defenseman Oliver Kylington and three-point efforts from Buddy Robinson (3a), Glenn Gawdin (1g,2a) and Justin Kirkland (3a).
Sophomore forward Matthew Phillips had a career-best four-point effort on Monday (1g,3a), including two points in the final period of the game with a goal and an assist. The four-point outburst catapulted Phillips to a tie for 11th in the AHL in scoring with 14 points (5g,9a) on the year as he continues his impressive second season.
PHILP-ING THE NET
Luke Philp got off the schneid in a big way on Monday, recording a pair of goals and adding an assist for his first three professional points. Philp's first-career goal, coming with 7:01 remaining in the third period, went down as the game-winner before he added the team's sixth marker of the game with just 4:04 remaining to punctuate the win.
Jon Gillies has been solid between the pipes this season, coming into today's game in the top 20 of AHL goalies for Goals Against Average at 2.34 and boasting a .911 Save Percentage. Gillies has played a big role in Stockton stockpiling points in the early running this season, the Heat earning at least a point in his last five starts. Gillies' lone regulation loss on the year came in the 7-6 barnburner against Tucson, a contest in which he came into the game in relief with the Heat trailing 3-0 in the first period.
POWER PLAY PROWESS
Stockton enters this weekend with the AHL's top-ranked power play, firing at 30.9-percent on the year with 17 goals in 55 chances. Stockton is fourth in the league on home ice at 28 percent and tied for tops in the AHL with 33.3 percent on the road. Coming into tonight's game, Stockton is 5-for-14 on the year on the man-advantage against the Roadrunners.
KIRKLAND'S HELPING HANDS
Justin Kirkland has been racking up assists of late, having recorded six over the Heat's last three games and back-to-back multi-assist efforts. Last time out against Tucson, Kirkland racked up three apples in the road rally, and he followed up that effort with two helpers against the San Diego Gulls on Monday. Kirkland now leads the Heat with 11 assists on the year.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Heat Stories
- Flames Re-Sign Forward Justin Kirkland
- Flames, Heat Extend Affiliation with Kansas City
- Heat Release Statement, Ticketing Policies Regarding Cancellation of 2019-20 Season, Playoffs
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season