Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton
Binghamton, N.Y. - Andy Welinski's power-play rocket was good for his third goal of the season and the hard-shooting defenseman also blasted shots off the post on two other occasions but the Binghamton Devils held on for a 3-1 win on Friday night.
Lehigh Valley (6-4-5) had a strong push in the third period in its comeback efforts but Devils goaltender Louis Domingue pushed through.
Binghamton (6-7-3) extended its point streak to four games (3-0-1) with goals from Josh Jacobs (2nd), Ben Street (7th) and Mikhail Maltsev (1st).
J-F Berube thwarted a 16-shot attack in the first period to keep the score 0-0. The 28-year-old Phantoms netminder had to contend with a number of point-blank chances and partial breakaways but his spectacular effort kept the Devils from striking early.
But Binghamton broke through with a pair of goals in the second period with tallies 100 seconds apart from Jacobs on a 2-on-1 in which he took the shot himself instead of passing and then a power-play strike from the high-slot by 32-year-old Street.
Lehigh Valley responded a couple minutes later with Andy Welinski's power-play blast from center point. The first-year Phantom who formerly played with the Anaheim Ducks and San Diego Gulls has scored all three of his goals this season in the last five games. Welinski also found the iron with big blasts in the first period and third period. Greg Carey and Cal O'Reilly notched assists on Welinski's second-period tally.
Maltsev's quick put-back goal on a long rebound to the left boards stretched the Devils advantage to 3-1 in the early minutes of the third and Binghamton was able to hold on from there with several nice stops by winning goaltender Louis Domingue.
Both teams recorded 27 shots apiece and both went 1-for-5 on the power play. The Phantoms conclude their four-game road-trip at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. Lehigh Valley returns to PPL Center for a three-game homestand Wednesday, Friday and Saturday hosting the Charlotte Checkers and Belleville Senators during "Retro Week."
Lehigh Valley Phantoms 1 at Binghamton Devils 3 - Status: Final
Friday - Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
Lehigh Valley 0 1 0 - 1
Binghamton 0 2 1 - 3
1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Fitzgerald Lv (slashing), 3:09; Jacobs Bng (hooking), 7:57; O'Reilly Lv (hooking), 8:02; Rubtsov Lv (high-sticking), 8:42.
2nd Period-1, Binghamton, Jacobs 2 (Sharangovich, Studenic), 7:09. 2, Binghamton, Street 7 (Cumiskey, Seney), 8:49 (PP). 3, Lehigh Valley, Welinski 3 (O'Reilly, Carey), 11:57 (PP). Penalties-Morrow Bng (cross-checking), 4:04; Kase Lv (hooking), 8:20; Paliotta Bng (cross-checking), 11:04; Bastian Bng (slashing), 16:56.
3rd Period-4, Binghamton, Maltsev 1 (Zetterlund, Cumiskey), 3:54. Penalties-Baddock Bng (boarding), 5:43.
Shots on Goal-Lehigh Valley 5-12-10-27. Binghamton 16-7-4-27.
Power Play Opportunities-Lehigh Valley 1 / 5; Binghamton 1 / 4.
Goalies-Lehigh Valley, Berube 3-2-3 (27 shots-24 saves). Binghamton, Domingue 4-2-2 (27 shots-26 saves).
Referees-Andrew Bruggeman (22), Alex Normandin (65).
Linesmen-Julien Fournier (56), Jud Ritter (34).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.