Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM
(Hershey, PA) - Tonight, the Hershey Bears play host to the defending Calder Cup Champion Charlotte Checkers in the first of back-to-back meetings. Both teams previously met in the 2019 Atlantic Division Finals, where Charlotte completed a four-game series sweep before capturing the 2019 Calder Cup.
Hershey Bears (7-5-2-2) vs. Charlotte Checkers (5-5-2-0)
November 15, 2019 | 7 PM | Game #17 | Giant Center
Referees: Olivier Gouin (54), Terry Koharski (10)
Linesmen: Bob Goodman (90), Colin Gates (3)
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
Ticket Information: http://www.hersheybears.com/tickets/single-game.php
Tonight's Promotion: ZooAmerica Night, BOGO Kids Dippin' Dots
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 6:30 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch, Mitch Lamoureux, and Jim Jones on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV
LAST TIME OUT:
The Bears last skated on Wednesday evening, dropping a 1-0 decision in a shootout at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Hershey's Pheonix Copley earned a shutout with 29 saves through regulation and overtime, but the league's leading scorer, Stefan Noesen, beat him in the shootout for the lone goal of the skills competition. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender Casey DeSmith stopped all 28 of Hershey's shots through regulation and overtime and also went 3-for-3 in the shootout. The Checkers previous game came last Saturday in a 4-3 overtime loss to Springfield. Charlotte's Julien Gauthier had a goal and an assist in the loss.
Tonight's game features a head-to-head battle between the two youngest coaches in the American Hockey League. Only first-year Charlotte coach Ryan Warsofsky, 32, is younger than Hershey's Spencer Carbery, 38. The two bench bosses have a history together with the Bears ECHL affiliate, the South Carolina Stingrays. Warsofsky was Carbery's assistant in South Carolina from 2013-16, and took over the reigns as head coach of the Stingrays when Carbery took a head coaching position with the Ontario Hockey League's Saginaw Spirit. Warsofsky is the older brother of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton defenseman David Warsofsky.
REMATCH WITH THE CHAMPS:
Tonight's contest is the first time that Hershey has faced Charlotte since the Checkers bounced the Bears from the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs. The Checkers swept Hershey in the second round matchup, closing the series at Giant Center on May 8 with a 5-2 victory. Charlotte would go on to defeat Toronto in six games in the Eastern Conference Finals, and take down the Chicago Wolves in five games to claim the Calder Cup title. Charlotte's current team is vastly different from the championship team. Head coach Mike Vellucci, playoff MVP Andrew Poturalski, and key players Tomas Jurco, Aleksi Saarela, and Nicolas Roy are no longer in the organization.
Tonight is one of just two games at Giant Center on a Friday night for the Bears this season. In comparison, Hershey has 16 road games on Friday nights during the 2019-20 campaign. The Bears next Friday home game does not come until Mar. 13, 2020 versus Toronto. The Bears played three Friday home games last year, going 2-0-1-0.
CURRENT TRENDS AND ODDS AND ENDS:
Hershey enters tonight's game on a six-game point streak, going 4-0-1-1 in that span. The Chocolate and White have also won three straight games at Giant Center. Approaching milestones are Bears forwards Steve Whitney, who is one assist away from 100 in his professional career, and Philippe Maillet, who is two points away from 100 in his AHL and professional career. On Charlotte's side of things, the Checkers invade Chocolatetown with two straight losses on the road and having dropped three of their past four games overall. The Checkers added former Penn State standout Casey Bailey on a professional tryout this week. Bailey skated in training camp with Hershey and had 11 points (eight goals, three assists) in nine games with Hershey's ECHL affiliate, the South Carolina Stingrays while on an ECHL deal.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears and Capitals Extend Affiliation Agreement
- AHL Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Kale Kessy Named Hershey's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend