Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday
BELLEVILLE, Ont. - Oliver Wahlstrom, Arnaud Durandeau and Andrew Ladd each found the back of the net on Friday, but the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (4-9-3-1), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, came up short in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Belleville Senators (8-6-1-0) at CAA Arena.
Wahlstrom (1g, 1a), Simon Holmstrom (2a) and Sebastian Aho (2a) all recorded a multi-point performance, while Christopher Gibson (3-2-3) made 31 saves in a hard-nosed effort. Two of Bridgeport's three goals came on the power play, which tied a season high. The Sound Tigers went 0-1-1-0 against the B-Sens in their two-game series.
The Sound Tigers scored first with Wahlstrom's missile on the power play at 10:37 of the opening period. Aho set up above the slot and directed a pass to the left circle, where Wahlstrom wired a one-timer that sailed into the top right corner, above Marcus Hogberg's reaching glove. It was Wahlstrom's third goal and sixth point in just eight games with the Sound Tigers this season. Holmstrom had the secondary assist.
Belleville responded with two late goals in the span of 1:14 to grab the lead entering the first intermission. Vitaly Abramov made it 1-1 at the 18:10 mark when he converted on a breakaway with Kyle Burroughs in the box for slashing. Bridgeport had just killed off a 5-on-3 power play, but couldn't finish the 5-on-4 Senators' advantage. Shortly after, Morgan Klimchuk scored on a rebound in the final 37 seconds of the first period.
The Sens outshot Bridgeport 14-7 in the middle frame, but Durandeau collected the only tally with his second goal in as many games, and his third in the last seven. Travis St. Denis found Aho at the left point, where the defenseman blasted a shot into a crowd at the front of the net. Durandeau touched it last before it crossed the goal line to make it 2-2.
Ladd's power-play goal at 11:38 of the third period put the Sound Tigers back on top, which was orchestrated by Wahlstrom's creativity on the left side. Wahlstrom faked a shot and delayed long enough to get Hogberg to bite, before slipping a back-door pass to Ladd on the far post. It was his second goal with the Sound Tigers this season, and his first since clearing waivers earlier in the day.
With time winding down, the Senators pulled the score back even with Rudolfs Balcers' first of back-to-back tallies to win it. Christian Jaros hammered a shot from the right point that was blocked back, but Balcers put home the rebound to make it 3-3 at the 16:41 mark.
In overtime, Balcers netted another one just 102 seconds in to seal the 4-3 final. It also came on the power play with Burroughs in the box, finishing up a hooking penalty that occurred in the final seven seconds of regulation.
The Sound Tigers finished the game 2-for-4 on the power play, while Belleville went 2-for-5. The Senators won the shot battle 35-24.
Sound Tigers season tickets and flex plans are on sale now for the 2019-20 campaign, offering the greatest savings and ultimate flexibility of all ticket packages. Pick between a full-season, 20-game, or 10-game plan and you'll also be entitled to exclusive benefits, including the ticket holder exchange policy. Lock in your seats today by contacting Brad Dworin at 203-345-4813 or via email@example.com
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Bellows scores for third straight game in setback on Saturday
- Stevens scores twice in road win on Friday
- Sound Tigers Hit Road for Two this Weekend
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 10
- Schilkey scores in third straight game, but Bridgeport gives up four-goal third period