Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch
Syracuse, N.Y. - Reid Boucher returned from injury with a hat trick and led the way as the Utica Comets skated to a 5-2 road victory over the Syracuse Crunch on Friday night at the War Memorial.
Earning a power play in the middle of the first period, the Comets needed just seconds of the man advantage before Reid Boucher made his presence felt. A faceoff that drifted to Boucher near the slot allowed him time to look up and spot a corner to sail the puck in for his 11th of the season.
Five minutes later and on a power play of their own, the Crunch tied the game at one, courtesy of Alex Barre-Boulet. Moving in from the left wing circle, Barre-Boulet reached back and uncorked a slap shot that flew into the net for the equalizer.
After a solid display of back-and-forth action to start the second period, Utica established its second one-goal lead of the game while tallying their second power play goal. Nikolay Goldobin controlled on the left wing before steering a pass to Kole Lind for a re-direct for his fourth of the season. The Crunch responded just two minutes later as Boris Katchouk capitalized on Syracuse's fourth power play of the night.
The tie game lasted just over a minute as Boucher tallied his second of the game just moments later. Hustling into the zone along the wing and flinging a shot from an acute angle, he zipped a shot that snuck into an impossibly small window. Syracuse netminder Spencer Martin reached back to try and prevent the puck from going in, but the effort was futile.
The Comets added to their lead with under three minutes left in the second as Carter Bancks registered his third of the year by angling a Francis Perron pass under the glove of Martin and into the net. The three goal outburst from Utica sent the team into the dressing room with a 4-2 lead after two periods.
Slamming the door shut during the third period, Utica used nine saves from Zane McIntyre and five killed penalties to take away Syracuse's chances. Late in the action and facing an empty net, Boucher flew the puck down the ice and finished off his hat trick and the Comets' 5-2 thrashing of their rivals.
The Comets go right back at it tomorrow night at home against the Rochester Americans. Puck drop is at 7 p.m. and there is a team autograph session following the game. Tickets are still available at the Box Office, over the phone by calling (315) 790-9070, or online at www.empirestatetix.com or the ticket exchange site, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Condors Blanked by Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Oglevie, Pilut Power Amerks to 3-2 Overtime Win - Rochester Americans
- Griffins' Offense Sizzles in Win over 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ladd, Wahlstrom, Durandeau each score in overtime loss on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Beat Bridgeport in OT - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Trounce Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Deviled at Binghamton - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Battles back for a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Surpassed by Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Sixth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 3-1 Win Over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Pick up a Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Americans - Cleveland Monsters
- Bears Blanked for Second Straight Game - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Boucher Nets Three as Comets Clobber Crunch - Utica Comets
- Red Wings Assign Smith to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Recall Goaltender Parker Milner from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Recall Forward Alexis D'Aoust - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Host Winning Wednesday and $2 Beers/$2 Hot Dogs Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Defender Tyler Lewington - Hershey Bears
- Barbie Blank to Attend Syracuse Crunch Game December 7 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flames Recall Kylington, Place Valimaki on LTIR - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Wild Signs Defenseman Lester Lancaster to PTO - Iowa Wild
- Stockton, Tucson Face off in Divisional Battle - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 15 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Tip-A-Griffin Returns on November 18 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala and Center Diego Cuglietta Join Texas - Texas Stars
- Colton White Recalled By New Jersey - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Sabres Recall Asplund, Amerks Bring up Boomhower - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Sound Tigers, November 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Trek to Canada this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game 14 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.