Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Checkers and Monsters locked in another tight battle Wednesday night that took more than 60 minutes to decide, but the home side rallied to claim a big two points in the standings.
After killing off over 90 seconds of their own penalty in overtime, the Checkers earned a man advantage and made quick work of it. Less than 30 seconds into it Jake Bean threaded a cross-ice feed to Steven Lorentz, who ripped a shot into the back of the net for his second goal of the night and picked up the win for Charlotte.
Regulation was a back-and-forth affair, with Cleveland capturing the lead twice before the Checkers punched back. After the Monsters made it 2-1 midway through the third, it was Bean who came through in the clutch with a point snipe in the waning minutes to force the game into overtime.
In his first game since his recent NHL stint, Alex Nedeljkovic delivered a strong performance between the pipes, making 28 saves to put Charlotte in a position to win.
Coach Ryan Warsofsky on the game
They (Cleveland) work hard. They compete. They didn't come off the gas all night. I thought we had a slow start but we kept playing and just found a way to win.
Warsofsky on Steven Lorentz's line with Dave Gust and Max McCormick
That Lorentz line was really big for us. They played a lot of minutes, one, and they were focused from the start. They were moving their feet and they were playing together. They were really important for us. Bean and McKeown too were outstanding on the back end. Really outstanding.
Warsofsky on Alex Nedeljkovic
A true pro. He really is. He came in and has had a great attitude. Obviously he's disappointed to get sent down but it does not change how he treats his body or how he gets prepared. He did a great job tonight and made a huge save late in the third on their power play and then in overtime. Really good, outstanding performance by Ned.
Steven Lorentz on his overtime goal
We just basically drew up a quick play. When you can get a 4-on-3 it opens up some space out there and we have some guys that can snap it around. We drew up a play and we got a shot and it didn't work, so we kind of improvised. I was fortunate enough to get an open one-timer there and put it on net.
Lorentz on generating offense
We were pretty resilient and it did pay off in the end, but there were some frustrating moments in that game when the bounces weren't really going our way, but we stuck with it and that just says a lot about our group. With a lot of new faces in our lineup, guys are stepping up and that's good to see.
The Checkers hold a five-point lead over Springfield, the team chasing them for the final playoff spot in the Atlantic Division, with three fewer games played ... Charlotte has won five straight games against Cleveland ... Lorentz (2g, 1a) had a point on all three goals, marking his fifth game with at least three points this season ... The Checkers were 5-for-5 on the penalty kill ... Charlotte improved to 2-5 in games decided during the five-minute overtime period this season ... Forward Max Zimmer, who recently completed his senior season at the University of Wisconsin, made his professional debut ... Forwards Brian Gibbons, Colin Markison and Spencer Smallman and defenseman Cavan Fitzgerald missed the game due to injury ... Defenseman Gustav Forsling served the second of a two-game suspension ... Forward Kamerin Nault was a healthy extra.
The Checkers wrap up their home stand this weekend when they host the Providence Bruins starting Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 11, 2020
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win - Providence Bruins
- Bellows, St. Denis each score twice and Gibson makes 44 saves on Wednesday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa Ends Road Trip with 4-1 Loss to Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Devils Roll By Amerks, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Slide Past Phantoms with 2-1 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Streaming Providence Downs Pack, 3-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Lyon Makes 33 Saves to Earn Point for Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Shutout in Laval - Belleville Senators
- Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Win Streak Snapped by Crunch - Utica Comets
- Monsters Gain Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Checkers - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Recall Left Wing Joel Kiviranta from Texas - Texas Stars
- COVID-19 Statement from Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Agree to Terms with Forward Alex Turcotte on Entry-Level Contract - Ontario Reign
- Statement from the Milwaukee Admirals Regarding Covid-19 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Statement from Pegula Sports & Entertainment - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Sign Notre Dame's Tory Dello to Amateur Tryout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Sign Huntebrinker to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Allstate Arena's Prevention Strategies with Regard to COVID-19 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Inch Closer to Playoffs with Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Game 58 Preview: San Diego at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Add Two Forwards to Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Coyotes Assign Ness to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Connor Bunnaman Recalled by Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Recall Eric Knodel from Reading; Friedman to Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 vs. Binghamton Devils - Rochester Americans
- Rangers Recall Steven Fogarty from Hartford on an Emergency Basis - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Join the Hogs for the First-Ever Brew-Ha-Hogs Beer Sampling - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Host Toronto Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, March 11 - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Three Game Road Trip Tonight in Bridgeport - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Prevail in 5-4 Victory over Eagles - Texas Stars
- Roadrunners, Hill Blank San Diego, Further Division Lead And Win Streak - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Cool Heat, 7-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Hill, Tucson End Gulls' Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Drop Tuesday Tilt, 7-4, to San Jose - Stockton Heat
- Colorado Eagles Tripped up by Stars, 5-4 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton
- Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland
- Checkers Clamp Down Cleveland in 2-1 Win