Long balls lift River Cats over Bees
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - The Sacramento River Cats (51-46) leaned on a trio of home runs and some new faces out of the bullpen to defeat the Salt Lake Bees (41-56) 8-5 and secure a series victory in Salt Lake City.
River Cats starter Yoanys Quiala turned in a solid performance Wednesday night to pick up his team leading fifth win of the season. The right-hander tossed six innings and allowed four earned runs on eight hits while fanning seven batters. Lefty Travis Bergen, who rejoined the club today on a Major League rehab assignment, and recently added right-hander Sam Wolff worked final three innings, scattering four hits and allowing just an unearned run while striking out four batters. Wolff picked up his first Triple-A save in his River Cats debut.
Three homers did much of the heavy lifting for the River Cats' offense on Wednesday night. The first came in the second inning when Francisco Peña smacked his eighth homer of the year. Then in the seventh, with the game knotted up at four, the River Cats struck again with a solo blast from Levi Michael and a two-run jack from Mike Gerber. The 8-5 win, combined with a loss from the Fresno Grizzlies, gives the River Cats a three game advantage in the Pacific Northern division.
Sacramento will try to win four of five as the take on Salt Lake tomorrow night in the series finale. Right-hander Brandon Beachy (0-0, No ERA) will make his first career start for the River Cats as he continues his journey back to the big leagues. Salt Lake will give lefty Patrick Sandoval (3-4, 7.71) the nod. First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on Money 105.5 FM (PT).
- For the first time in 72 games, infielder Abiatal Avelino did not play. This game also snaps his streak of 30 straight starts. The last time Avelino did not play was on May 2 in Albuquerque. The slick-fielding Avelino leads the team in games played this season with 90.
- Also for the first time this season, the River Cats reached double-digit hits for the fifth straight game. Over their last five games, the River Cats have combined for 37 runs on 65 total hits.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Chasers Walk off with 10-9 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Rip Way to 10-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Blown Lead Gets Nashville Swept in San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Omaha Takes Down 'Cakes in Ten Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Complete the Homestand Sweep - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies avoid sweep in classic Albuquerque slugfest - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Deliver During Wild 18-5 Win at Iowa - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- American Legion Baseball Hosts Nevada State Tournament at Las Vegas Ballpark July 26 - 27 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Grizzlies Avoid Sweep with 10-9 Win over Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Split Series against Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Vihuelas de Nashville - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-56) at San Antonio Missions (61-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-59) at Round Rock Express (56-41) - Memphis Redbirds
- The One Where the Aces Celebrate the 90's - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League - Round Rock Express
- Taking Flight with ... Paul Blackburn - Las Vegas Aviators
- Stranger Things, Moon Landing Anniversary Highlight Baby Cakes' Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Los Lonely Boys to Perform First Concert at Brushy Creek Amphitheater - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aiming for a Return to the Majors - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Take 'Cakes with 11-10 Walk-Off Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven-Run Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Steal Game Three with Seven-Run Ninth Inning - Reno Aces
- McCaughan, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Rain-Shortened Game - Tacoma Rainiers
- Long balls lift River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Complete Thrilling 11-8 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Cakes Lose in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Hot Early, Express Pick up Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grizz drop third straight to 'Topes on Wednesday in ABQ - Fresno Grizzlies
- Six-Run Eighth Leads I-Cubs to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- I-Cubs Come Out of Hibernation in Eighth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Fall Again, Drop Fourth Straight - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Win Fourth in a Row - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Four-Run Sixth Inning Carries Missions to Win over Nashville - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late
- Davis belts three homers as River Cats cruise to victory
- Late Aces rally dooms River Cats in series opener
- Bullpen falters in series-ending loss to Sounds