Express Complete Thrilling 11-8 Victory over Redbirds
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (57-40) fought through an early deficit to serve the Memphis Redbirds (38-59) an 11-8 loss on Wednesday night at Dell Diamond. Rehabbing Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa posted an impressive night at the plate, going 3-4 with two RBI and a run scored in his second rehab appearance.
Round Rock LHP Kent Emanuel (4-1, 4.74) earned a well-deserved win after tossing 6.0 innings out of the bullpen. Emanuel held Memphis to only one run on six hits while fanning four. On the losing side, Redbirds RHP Jesus Cruz (6-2, 7.78) surrendered three runs, only one of which was earned, on three hits and a walk in a 1.1 inning relief appearance.
Memphis started hot as 2B Ramon Urias and DH Rangel Ravelo teamed up for a pair of walks before LF Lane Thomas plated Urias on a single. The next at-bat, RF Johan Mieses notched a three-run homer to put the 'Birds ahead 4-0. The hits kept rolling in as C Jose Godoy doubled. The runner then advanced to third on a wild pitch and later scored on a Kramer Robertson base hit.
The visitors didn't let up in the following inning, in fact, Arozarena and Urias each recorded doubles, the second of which scored Memphis' sixth run. Urias later advanced to third when Ravelo flew out to center field and raced home on a single off the bat of Thomas to hand Round Rock an early 7-0 deficit.
However, with Emanuel on the mound for Round Rock, the team began a second inning rally. LF Drew Ferguson singled for the E-Train's first hit of the evening and quickly moved to second when RF Kyle Tucker worked a walk. DH Alex De Goti then wasted no time putting the Express on the board with a three-run bomb. The hits continued from there as CF Chas McCormick singled prior to a Jamie Ritchie RBI double. To cap the exciting inning, Correa tacked on a hit, the first of his major league rehab, to send Ritchie home and bring Round Rock within 7-5.
2B Josh Rojas then started what would become a dazzling night at the plate with a solo shot to lead off the fourth. Diaz then reached base on a fielding error and hustled home when Correa smoked a double into right field. McCormick eventually plated Correa with a single for the go-ahead run.
Round Rock tacked on insurance runs in the seventh inning to complete an incredible comeback win. Tucker opened the frame with a double and scored when Ritchie mimicked the hit. The red-hot Rojas then plated another set of runs with his second longball of the night, a 430-foot shot that careened off the top of the centerfield groundskeeping barn.
In the eighth, Memphis threatened a comeback as Mieses and Robertson singled in back-to-back at-bats. Shortly thereafter, 3B Jose Martinez grounded into a double play that allowed Mieses to score the 'Birds last run. E-Train RHP Brendan McCurry shut down any hope of a last-minute comeback, throwing 1.1 hitless innings to earn the save and secure an 11-8 victory.
Round Rock aims for a series win in Thursday night's finale. E-Train RHP Carson LaRue (0-1, 6.00) is scheduled to start against Redbirds LHP Austin Warner (0-0, 7.02). First pitch at Dell Diamond is slated for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Chasers Walk off with 10-9 Extra-Inning Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Rip Way to 10-5 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Blown Lead Gets Nashville Swept in San Antonio - Nashville Sounds
- Omaha Takes Down 'Cakes in Ten Innings - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Complete the Homestand Sweep - San Antonio Missions
- Grizzlies avoid sweep in classic Albuquerque slugfest - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Deliver During Wild 18-5 Win at Iowa - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- American Legion Baseball Hosts Nevada State Tournament at Las Vegas Ballpark July 26 - 27 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Grizzlies Avoid Sweep with 10-9 Win over Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Game Notes vs. El Paso - Reno Aces
- I-Cubs Split Series against Oklahoma City - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Vihuelas de Nashville - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-56) at San Antonio Missions (61-36) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (38-59) at Round Rock Express (56-41) - Memphis Redbirds
- The One Where the Aces Celebrate the 90's - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League - Round Rock Express
- Taking Flight with ... Paul Blackburn - Las Vegas Aviators
- Stranger Things, Moon Landing Anniversary Highlight Baby Cakes' Weekend - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Los Lonely Boys to Perform First Concert at Brushy Creek Amphitheater - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aiming for a Return to the Majors - San Antonio Missions
- Chasers Take 'Cakes with 11-10 Walk-Off Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven-Run Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Steal Game Three with Seven-Run Ninth Inning - Reno Aces
- McCaughan, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Rain-Shortened Game - Tacoma Rainiers
- Long balls lift River Cats over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Complete Thrilling 11-8 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Cakes Lose in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Hot Early, Express Pick up Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Grizz drop third straight to 'Topes on Wednesday in ABQ - Fresno Grizzlies
- Six-Run Eighth Leads I-Cubs to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- I-Cubs Come Out of Hibernation in Eighth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Fall Again, Drop Fourth Straight - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Win Fourth in a Row - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Four-Run Sixth Inning Carries Missions to Win over Nashville - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.