Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory
SAN ANTONIO - Jimmy Nelson looked sharp in his third rehab appearance of the season as the San Antonio Missions staved off the Memphis Redbirds 5-3. Tyler Saladino followed up his four-hit, three-RBI performance on Thursday with a two-RBI night on Friday.
Nelson kept Memphis hitters off balance all night long as the Redbirds managed to scatter just three hits against the right-hander of 5.2 innings of work. Nelson issued just one free pass and struck out eight batters in the outing.
San Antonio took the lead in the third inning as Tyler Saladino muscled a double down the right field line to plate Mauricio Dubon from first base. Then in the fourth inning the Missions separated themselves from the Redbirds with four runs in the frame. San Antonio batters drew two walks, were hit by two pitches, and collected three hits in the inning.
After Nelson was pulled in the sixth inning Taylor Williams entered and maintained the shutout for the duration of his outing, which lasted 1.1 innings. Memphis broke through in the eighth inning off towering left-hander Angel Perdomo. Andrew Knizner doubled home a run to put Memphis on the board. Knizner's double was followed up by a two-run blast from Adolis Garcia off Michael Tonkin to trim the deficit to two runs.
Jake Petricka came on in the ninth and shut the door on the Redbirds with a scoreless inning to notch his second save of the season for San Antonio.
The Missions and Redbirds continue their five-game set Saturday at Wolff Stadium. Right-hander Zack Brown will start for the Missions against left-hander Evan Kruczynski for the Redbirds. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
* With the win, San Antonio improved to 24-17 on the season.
* The Missions are seven games above .500, which is the high-water mark for the season.
* San Antonio is now 15-7 at Wolff Stadium this season, which is the best home record in the Pacific Coast League.
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. Vihuelas de Nashville
- Aiming for a Return to the Majors
- Four-Run Sixth Inning Carries Missions to Win over Nashville
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds
- Missions Sneak Past Sounds for Sixth Straight Victory