Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill
After two consecutive rain outs on Thursday and Friday night, the Salt Lake Bees split the first of two doubleheaders with the Las Vegas Aviators on Saturday night.
The Bees five-game winning streak came to an end in game one as the Aviators used a five-run second inning to secure an 8-2 victory. Las Vegas' pitching staff held the Bees to two runs on five hits and allowed no extra-base hits. Aviators pitcher Paul Blackburn (5-1) collected the win after tossing five innings to start and Wei-Chung Wang fired two innings of hitless ball to close the game. Patrick Sandoval (0-1) was tagged with the loss in his third start of the season as he went one and two-thirds innings and allowed five runs (zero earned) on five hits. Matt Thaiss highlighted the Bees offense, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
In the second game of the doubleheader, the Bees would go on to win 4-2. Cesar Puello put Salt Lake on the board first with a solo home run in the bottom of the second. After Las Vegas responded with a run of their own in the top of the next frame, Kaleb Cowart drove in two runs on a double and Wilfredo Tovar followed up the next at-bat with a RBI-single of his own in the bottom of the fourth frame to take a 4-1 lead. The Aviators tacked on one run in the top of the sixth as Jeremy Rhoades came in to relive, but Rhoades got out of the jam with two runners stranded on base. Jose Suarez (2-0) earned his second win of the season, pitching five innings and allowing only one earned while striking out five batters. Taylor Ward's active on-base streak of 34 games was snapped in game two as he went 0-for-3. Ward reached base safely in 34 consecutive Triple-A games with his streak dating back to Aug. 8 of last season. Game two was also Pack the Park Pink Night at Smith's Ballpark the night raised $18,975 dollars for Huntsman Cancer Institute's fight to end the disease.
The Bees and Aviators will play another doubleheader Sunday with first pitch of game one scheduled for 12:05 p.m. and game two coming 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one. Per Minor League Baseball rules both games will be seven innings. The series will then conclude with a Smith's Family Night Monday game with four tickets and four hot dogs available for $24 on www.slbees.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.