River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies
West Sacramento, Calif. - It was an up and down evening for the Sacramento River Cats (19-22), who earned a victory in the front end of the doubleheader behind Dereck Rodriguez, then dropped game two to the Fresno Grizzlies (22-19) in extras on a walk-off homer from Nationals top prospect Carter Kieboom.
In game one, right-hander Dereck Rodriguez made his first start for the River Cats since being optioned by the San Francisco Giants on May 11. Rodriguez made nine starts with Sacramento in 2018, going 4-1 with a 3.40 ERA in 50.1 innings. On Friday he picked up a win while tossing six innings of two-run ball, striking out four batters. He was even better at the plate, going 3-for-3 with three doubles, three runs scored, and an RBI.
Game two was shaping up to be a pitcher's duel until the River Cats broke out for five runs in the fourth inning. Outfielder Mike Yastrzemski and third baseman Austin Slater launched home runs in the inning, giving Sacramento a 5-1 lead. The Grizzlies would claw back, however, to force extras. In the second extra frame, Slater doubled in two to put Sacramento up 8-6 but infielder Carter Kieboom blasted a three-run walk-off home run in the bottom half to split the doubleheader.
Right-hander Enderson Franco (1-1, 7.76) will take the ball for the River Cats on Saturday in game three of five, while the Grizzlies will counter with righty Scott Copeland (2-1, 6.27). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- River Cats' pitchers had just one hit in 30 at bats coming into game one on Friday night, then right-hander Dereck Rodriguez picked up a double in each of his three at bats. Three doubles is the most for a River Cats player in a game this season.
- Friday night was the Sacramento's first extra-inning game on the road this season and sixth overall. They are now 3-3 in extra-inning ballgames.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics
- River Cats Announce 2019 Triple-A Championship Ring Design
- Full 2020 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions