Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Nashville Sounds (14-26) earned their first win over the Round Rock Express (25-15) since the beginning of April by a 9-3 final score on Friday night at Dell Dimond. The Sounds used 12 hits and three multi-run innings to start the weekend with a victory.
Round Rock RHP Cy Sneed (1-5, 6.30) suffered the loss after surrendering three runs on four hits in a 1.2 inning start. On the winning side, Sounds RHP Tim Dillard (2-2, 5.60) held the Express to two runs on nine hits and three punchouts in 5.0 innings pitched.
After a quiet first inning, the Sounds made their presence known as they drove in three runs before the Express defense could retire the second. Nashville SS Eli White worked a walk in the inning's first at-bat then advanced to third on a Jose Trevino base hit before scoring on a Hunter Cole RBI single. Sounds leadoff hitter LF Zack Granite then singled Trevino home, followed by Cole, who would eventually touch home after 3B Patrick Wisdom worked a bases-loaded walk.
Nashville widened the gap the next inning, starting with a White base hit. The next Sounds duo, Trevino and DH Chase d'Arnaud, each reached base on fielder's choice plays, setting up Cole for an RBI single that would plate White. For the second time this evening, a bases-loaded walk forced a Sounds batter home and extended the visitors lead to 5-0.
The E-Train finally found the scoreboard in the home half of the third, as SS Alex De Goti crushed a leadoff double prior to a Derek Fisher RBI single. The next two at-bats, CF Myles Straw and LF Yordan Alvarez worked together to advance Fisher home with a pair of singles, cutting the deficit to 5-2.
The Sounds drove in three consecutive runs in the fifth inning beginning with a trio of singles prior to a DeSheilds bases-loaded walk. Former Express and current Sounds 2B Andy Ibanez then notched an RBI single of his own, followed by a Patrick Wisdom sacrifice fly that gave the visitors an 8-2 lead.
Nashville kept the runs coming in the sixth when Cole notched an RBI double, scoring Trevino after he singled. In the bottom of the ninth, Fisher smoked a solo homer to get one run back, but the Express ultimately fell to the Sounds by a 9-3 final.
The Express meet the Sounds for game three on Saturday night at Dell Diamond. Round Rock LHP Ryan Hartman (5-0, 3.82) is slated to start, while the Sounds plan to counter with RHP Seth Maness (1-1, 4.76). First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.