Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha
Oklahoma City - The Oklahoma City Dodgers raced out to a six-run lead Saturday night before the Omaha Storm Chasers responded by scoring five unanswered runs, but the Dodgers held on for a 7-6 win at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Oklahoma City led, 7-1, after three innings before Omaha scored five runs between the fifth and eighth innings to cut the Dodgers' lead to one run entering Omaha's final at-bat.
The Storm Chasers put the tying run on third base and go-ahead run on first base in the top of the ninth inning with two outs, but Dodgers pitcher Jaime Schultz got Jorge Bonifacio to ground out to preserve the win and record his third save of the season.
The Dodgers (14-26) have now won three of their last four games and took a 2-1 lead in their current series with the Storm Chasers with Saturday's victory.
Oklahoma City grabbed a 4-0 lead in the second inning.
The Dodgers loaded the bases with no outs. Later with one out, Errol Robinson lined a bases-clearing double into right-center field to push the Dodgers into a 3-0 advantage. Jake Peter followed with a RBI single to bring home Robinson and push OKC's lead to four runs.
Omaha's Humberto Arteaga connected on a solo homer with two outs in the top of the third inning to cut Oklahoma City's lead to 4-1.
In the bottom of the frame, Edwin RÃ-os belted a two-run homer into the Omaha bullpen in right-center field to boost the Dodgers' lead to 6-1. Blake Gailen added a RBI single later in the inning for a 7-1 advantage.
The Storm Chasers (19-23) started chipping away at Oklahoma City's lead in the fifth inning, adding a run on a balk by Dennis Santana before Erick Mejia lined a single into left-center field to cut the Dodgers' lead to 7-3.
Omaha scored a run on a wild pitch by Joe Broussard in the sixth inning to cut Oklahoma City's lead to three runs. A sacrifice fly by Omaha's Jorge Bonifacio in the seventh inning cut the Dodgers' lead to two runs before a sacrifice fly by Nick Dini in the eighth inning cut Oklahoma City's lead to one run.
Dodgers starting pitcher Dennis Santana allowed three runs on six hits over 4.2 innings with one walk and seven strikeouts.
Dodgers pitcher Broussard (1-1) entered the game in the fifth inning and was credited with the win, allowing one run and two hits over 1.1 innings. Dodgers relievers Kevin Quackenbush and Josh Sborz each allowed one run and one hit over an inning of work before Schultz closed out the game with a scoreless ninth inning.
Omaha starting pitcher Scott Blewett (2-4) was charged with the loss, allowing seven runs on eight hits over 3.0 innings with two strikeouts.
The Dodgers' series against Omaha continues at 2:05 p.m. on a Chaparral Energy Family Sunday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, featuring pregame player autographs, a mascot meet-and-greet, face painters, inflatables and postgame kids run the bases.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.