Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Tim Dillard worked five strong innings on the mound, and Hunter Cole went 4-for-5 with three RBIs at the plate to lead the Nashville Sounds to a 9-3 victory over the Round Rock Express on Friday night at the Dell Diamond. The win evened the five-game set at one win apiece and snapped the Sounds' losing streak against Round Rock at five.
The Sounds never trailed in the game, as they scored three runs in the second to chase Express starter Cy Sneed. Cole and Zack Granite smashed run-scoring singles, and Patrick Wisdom drew a bases-loaded walk. Then Cole drove in another run in the third inning with a single, and Delino DeShields drew a bases-loaded free pass to make it 5-0.
Dillard allowed his only runs in the bottom of the third. He yielded two runs and scattered nine hits over five innings in the win. Cole also threw out a runner at the plate in the fourth, and Granite robbed A.J. Reed of a three-run homer to back Dillard and end the fifth. Dillard struck out three batters, giving him 351 all-time in a Sounds uniform, one shy of tying Jamie Werly's franchise-record 352.
The Sounds pulled away with three runs in the fifth and one more in the sixth. DeShields, Andy Ibanez and Wisdom plated consecutive runs, and Cole's fourth hit was an RBI double to score Jose Trevino in the sixth for a 9-2 game. Round Rock scored once in the ninth before Jake Lemoine struck out Myles Straw to end the game. The Sounds are 4-5 on their 14-day road trip with three games remaining.
The five-game series continues Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. Seth Maness (1-1, 4.76) is scheduled to start for the Sounds, and Ryan Hartman (5-0, 3.82) will pitch for the Express.
Hunter Cole tied a career-high with 4 hits (6th time, 1st since 6/1/18 with Frisco)
Tim Dillard's victory was his 41st in a Sounds uniform, building on his franchise-record total
Zack Granite's 2nd-inning single moved his hitting streak to 13 games
Eli White's 3rd-inning single moved his hitting streak 7 games
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Drops Big to New Orleans, Splits Series
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-43)
- Wisdom Hits Walk-Off Homer in Front of Sellout
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-42)
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes