Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3
ROUND ROCK, Texas - For only the third time this season, the Round Rock Express (25-16) suffered back-to-back losses following a 6-3 decision against the Nashville Sounds (15-26) on Saturday night at Dell Diamond. Nashville fired off four home runs, including two from 3B Patrick Wisdom, to fuel their second consecutive win.
Round Rock LHP Ryan Hartman (5-1, 4.50) suffered his first loss of the season after surrendering five runs on six hits in a 5.0 inning start. On the flip side, Sounds RHP Seth Maness (2-1, 4.09) ran away with the win after holding the E-Train to one run on six hits while punching out three in a 5.0 inning start.
Nashville kicked off a series-best performance in the second with a leadoff home run from Wisdom. The next inning, RF Hunter Cole sent a solo blast of his own into left-center field, giving the Sounds an early 2-0 advantage.
Round Rock cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the inning as C Garrett Stubbs launched a double into the outfield and raced home on a two-out Myles Straw RBI single.
The one-run deficit was short-lived thanks to Matt Davidson's 14th longball of the year, which also plated Sounds C Jose Trevino, who reached base on a fielder's choice. The Sounds bats stayed hot in the fifth as LF Zack Granite singled then scored on a Delino DeShields double in the next at-bat. Nashville eventually widened the gap to 6-1 when Wisdom went yard for the second time in the eighth inning.
The E-Train sparked hope of a late comeback in the home half of the ninth when RF Kyle Tucker crushed a leadoff double into the deepest part of left field before being joined on the bases by LF Drew Ferguson, who was hit by a pitch. In the next plate appearance, 3B Alex De Goti worked a walk to set up bases-loaded RBI singles for CF Derek Fisher and Straw. Despite the late effort, the Express could not complete a comeback and were forced to settle with a 6-3 final.
The Express battle the Sounds for the fourth game in as many days on Sunday afternoon, aiming to snap a rare losing streak. Round Rock LHP Cionel Pérez (0-0, 6.85) is set to make the start opposite Nashville LHP Wes Benjamin (1-5, 8.54). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 1:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.