Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3
ROUND ROCK, Texas - For only the third time this season, the Round Rock Express (25-16) suffered back-to-back losses following a 6-3 decision against the Nashville Sounds (15-26) on Saturday night at Dell Diamond. Nashville fired off four home runs, including two from 3B Patrick Wisdom, to fuel their second consecutive win.
Round Rock LHP Ryan Hartman (5-1, 4.50) suffered his first loss of the season after surrendering five runs on six hits in a 5.0 inning start. On the flip side, Sounds RHP Seth Maness (2-1, 4.09) ran away with the win after holding the E-Train to one run on six hits while punching out three in a 5.0 inning start.
Nashville kicked off a series-best performance in the second with a leadoff home run from Wisdom. The next inning, RF Hunter Cole sent a solo blast of his own into left-center field, giving the Sounds an early 2-0 advantage.
Round Rock cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the inning as C Garrett Stubbs launched a double into the outfield and raced home on a two-out Myles Straw RBI single.
The one-run deficit was short-lived thanks to Matt Davidson's 14th longball of the year, which also plated Sounds C Jose Trevino, who reached base on a fielder's choice. The Sounds bats stayed hot in the fifth as LF Zack Granite singled then scored on a Delino DeShields double in the next at-bat. Nashville eventually widened the gap to 6-1 when Wisdom went yard for the second time in the eighth inning.
The E-Train sparked hope of a late comeback in the home half of the ninth when RF Kyle Tucker crushed a leadoff double into the deepest part of left field before being joined on the bases by LF Drew Ferguson, who was hit by a pitch. In the next plate appearance, 3B Alex De Goti worked a walk to set up bases-loaded RBI singles for CF Derek Fisher and Straw. Despite the late effort, the Express could not complete a comeback and were forced to settle with a 6-3 final.
The Express battle the Sounds for the fourth game in as many days on Sunday afternoon, aiming to snap a rare losing streak. Round Rock LHP Cionel Pérez (0-0, 6.85) is set to make the start opposite Nashville LHP Wes Benjamin (1-5, 8.54). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 1:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Aces Strap up Their Boots in Victory over Rainiers - Reno Aces
- Bishop Collects Two Hits But Rainiers Cannot Close Early Gap in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees and Aviators Split Twin Bill - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Overpower Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Ravelo Moves Hitting Streak to 13 in 6-4 Memphis Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Mariachis Put the Margaritas on Ice with 12-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Dodgers Ride Early Lead to 7-6 Win Against Omaha - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Holds off Omaha 7-6 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Another Night, Another Late Rally for the Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Bested by Nashville 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Home Runs Lift Sounds over Express - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats Game Postponed - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces to Host 4 Millionth Fan at Greater Nevada Field Sunday, May 19 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (14-26) vs. Round Rock Express (25-15) - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs and Baby Cakes Postponed, Play Twin Bill Sunday - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (21-20) at San Antonio Missions (24-17) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Making Progress in a Rehabilitation Start - San Antonio Missions
- Kieboom's 3-Run Walk-Off HR Splits Fresno DH with Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Beat the Rainiers 7-6 in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- River Cats split Friday night doubleheader with Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Build Early Lead, Lose on Walk-Off in Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Vosler Leads Charge in Chihuahuas' Hit Parade - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Downs Albuquerque, 11-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Pops Round Rock 9-3 - Round Rock Express
- Jimmy Nelson Shines in Missions Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Storm Chasers Even Series in OKC with 11-9 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard's Arm, Cole's Bat Lead Sounds Past Express - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker