Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Icemen, December 2 at 7:05 PM
December 2, 2022 - ECHL (ECHL) - South Carolina Stingrays News Release
The South Carolina Stingrays continue their 2022-23 campaign tonight as the team returns home to host the Jacksonville Icemen for the third matchup between the two teams this season. Tonight's contest will be the second of a three-in-three this weekend and the first of back-to-back home games at the North Charleston Coliseum.
LAST TIME OUT
The Stingrays came back from behind on Thursday night to beat the Savanah Ghost Pirates by a final score of 2-1 at Enmarket Arena. Down 1-0 heading into the second period, Bear Hughes cleaned up a rebound from Anthony Del Gaizo for his eighth goal of the season. Hughes added the game-winning goal midway through the third period from Alex Fortin for his ninth marker of the year. Clay Stevenson turned back 37 shots for the third straight contest in the win.
South Carolina has an overall record of 27-26-5-0 in 58 all-time regular-season meetings with the Icemen since their inaugural season in 2017-18. Jacksonville owns a 2-0 season series lead following a 5-4 victory in Jacksonville on November 8th, and a 4-3 overtime win on November 18th at the North Charleston Coliseum.
THE LAST OF THE UNDEFEATED
The South Carolina Stingrays remain the last team that is undefeated in regulation on their home ice. The Stingrays are 5-0-1-0 at the North Charleston Coliseum with their lone overtime loss coming two weeks ago against Jacksonville. South Carolina looks to keep the streak alive with a pair of contests at home this weekend.
INTO THE HONEY POT
Bear Hughes has been on fire recently for South Carolina, tallying five points on two goals and three assists over the last three games. Hughes keeps finding the sweet spot, adding his eighth and ninth goals of the season last night for his third multi-goal game of the season. The former Washington Capitals draft pick has tied Carter Turnbull and Jonny Evans for the most points on the team with 16.
KIM AND O'NEIL RETURN
Defenseman Michael Kim and forward Kevin O'Neil rejoin the Stingrays following a week-long stint in the AHL with the Hershey Bears. O'Neil currently ranks fourth on the Stingrays with 15 points in 12 games this year, scoring eight goals and adding seven assists. Kim is second in points among Stingrays defensemen, tallying eight points on two goals and six assists in 12 games. The pair see a lot of ice time, serving on the power play and as prime penalty killers.
Upcoming 5-Game Schedule
Savannah at South Carolina - Saturday, December 3 at 6:05 p.m.
Greenville at South Carolina - Friday, December 9 at 7:05 p.m.
South Carolina at Greenville - Saturday, December 10 at 7:05 p.m.
South Carolina at Atlanta - Wednesday, December 14 at 7:00 p.m.
Savannah at South Carolina - Saturday, December 17 at 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2022
- Fuel Win In Overtime - Indy Fuel
- Idaho Defeats Utah 5-4 on Friday Night in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Down Admirals in Comeback Win at Home, 6-3 - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Collect Seventh Straight Win With 5-4 Victory Over Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Stun Cyclones in 4-1 Road Victory - Toledo Walleye
- Rush Stun Americans 6-5 - Allen Americans
- Vaive, Caporusso Reach Milestones in Loss to Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Fight Back, Beat Allen 6-5 - Rapid City Rush
- Watts Tallies Overtime Winner at Kansas City - Wichita Thunder
- Perry Shines in Rabbits' Debut, Greenville Tops Atlanta for Fourth Straight Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Tim Doherty's Pair Leads Mariners Over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Rush Fight Back, Beat Allen 6-5 - Rapid City Rush
- Nailers Come Back to Win Overtime Slugfest, 6-5 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kim Records Three Points In Stingrays' Victory Over The Icemen - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Halted by Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Admirals Snag Early Lead, Royals Climb Back to Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Swamp Rabbits Edge Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Broetzman Scores Twice for Heartlanders in 4-2 Loss - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Open First Three-In-Three with 4-2 Win over Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Downed 4-2 by Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Idaho's Kupsky Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Jake Kupsky Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Idaho Steelheads
- O'Brien Named ECHL Player of the Month for November - Newfoundland Growlers
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Wright Recalled to Colorado. Grizz in Boise for Weekend Set - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Icemen, December 2 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Visits Kansas City Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Theisen Reassigned to Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs Gladiators (7:05pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Iowa's Pastujov Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Lions vs Heartlanders Tonight at 7:00 p.m. at Colisée Vidéotron - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Glads Open Weekend on the Road in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Worcester Railers HC Sign Forward Billy Jerry - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Open Two-Game Series with Admirals at Home - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.