Comets Come up Short against Crunch
Utica, N.Y. - A late rally from the Comets was too little too late as two first period goals were too much to overcome in a 3-1 loss to the Syracuse Crunch Monday afternoon at the Adirindack Bank Center. Nikolay Goldobin scored the lone goal for the Comets. Michael DiPietro stopped 22 shots in the loss.
Boris Katchouk struck first for Syracuse on a slap shot from outside of the blue line that handcuffed DiPietro at the 12:44 mark of the first period. Chris Mueller doubled the lead with a power play goal with 0.3 seconds remaining in the opening frame.
The Comets outshot the Crunch 7-4 in the middle frame but neither team was able to find the back of the net and the Comets trailed 2-0 after 40 minutes of play.
Utica could not generate any offense in the third period until Goldobin scored on the power play with 2:54 to go in regulation. Zack MacEwen and Brogan Rafferty had the assists. Katchouk hit the empty net late to secure the win.
The Comets return to action Friday night in a rematch against the Crunch. Puck drop in Syracuse is at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 11, 2019
- Roadrunners Weekly: November 11 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Moose Score Three in First, Cruise past Texas 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Insider: Sparks Sets Mark - Chicago Wolves
- Texas Drops 4-1 Decision to Manitoba in Road Trip Opener - Texas Stars
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Post Game Notes: Stars 1 at Moose 4 - Texas Stars
- Heat End Gulls' Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Phillips, Philp Help Heat Soar Past Gulls, 6-3 - Stockton Heat
- Gibson earns second shutout in last three appearances; Durandeau and Holmstrom each score in win - Bridgeport Islanders
- Comets Come up Short against Crunch - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Defeat Comets, 3-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Iowa Wild Releases Defenseman Turner Ottenbreit from PTO - Iowa Wild
- O'Connor, Connauton Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Jason Binkley to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Weekly, November 11-17 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Guhle Recalled by Anaheim, Benoit Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Carr Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Milwaukee Admirals
- Milwaukee's Daniel Carr Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Panthers Loan F Dominic Toninato to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Capitals Assign Tyler Lewington and Travis Boyd to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Heat Look to Cool Upstart Gulls in Monday Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Givani Smith - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Gavin Bayreuther - Texas Stars
- Amerks Recall Aquin from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Weekly Storylines - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: November 11 - Manitoba Moose
- Gulls Continue to Rule November - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Downed 3-1 by Red-Hot Gulls - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.