Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.)
Buffalo Bisons (61-68, 4th (-16.5), North) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (63-68, 3rd (-15.5), North)
Monday, August 27th, 2018 (7:05 p.m.) - Coca-Cola Field
RHP Murphy Smith (3-4, 3.59) vs. RHP William Cuevas (9-7, 4.33)
Radio: ESPN 1520 AM, Bisons.com
This evening, the Bisons close out their 2018 home schedule, also completing the season series with the Pawtucket Red Sox. Buffalo will begin their final road trip of the year tomorrow, closing against their Thruway Cup rivals. Buffalo first heads to Rochester August 28-30, with a doubleheader on the 28th. Continuing down the 90 the team will play its season-ending series in Syracuse Labor Day weekend August 31 through September 3.
Last Game: BUF 3, PAW 8
The PawSox scored early, and would not surrender their lead en route to a win in the third-game of the series. INF/OF Darnell Sweeney drove in two RBIs and scored two runs in a losing effort. Sweeney clubbed his tenth home run of the season to cut into the Herd's deficit, but it was not enough. C Michael De La Cruz drove in his fourth RBI as well. RHP Brandon Cumpton suffered the defeat in seven innings of work.
Pawtucket Red Sox (9-10)
The Bisons and Paw Sox are meeting for the final time this season. The last series played between the two teams came back on June 25-28 at Coca-Cola Field, when Buffalo took three of the four games. INF Tim Lopes is 12-39 (.308 AVG) in 12 games against the Red Sox this season.
Today's Starter: RHP Murphy Smith
RHP Murphy Smith is making his eighth start for the Bisons, and 27th appearance overall between the bullpen and starting rotation. Smith's last start came on August 17 at Gwinnett, where he logged his third win of the season (5.0IP, 4H, 0R/ER, 1BB, 3SO). The right hander has not lost a decision since a June 23 appearance against Lehigh Valley.
C Alberto Mineo has reached base in each of the three games that he has played for Buffalo since being promoted from Dunedin (Adv-A) on August 23. Mineo is hitting .400 (4-10) in his first three Triple-A games, driving in an RBI in his first at-bat on Thursday. He went 2-4 on Sunday and is 3-7 against Pawtucket.
LHP Jose Fernandez extended his scoreless streak to 12 relief appearances totaling 16 innings with two scoreless innings on Sunday. Fernandez also added four more strikeouts of the six outs recorded. The last runs allowed by Fernandez came on July 19, surrendering two runs in one inning of work against the Durham Bulls.
INF/OF Darnell Sweeney smashed his tenth home run of the season in a losing effort on Sunday. The utility man drove home two RBIs as well, to bring his 2018 Bisons' total to 37. Sweeney has hit safely in each of the first three games of the series against the PawSox. He has two home runs and four RBIs in the series.
The Herd is two games above .500 in Buffalo, going 33-31. The team can finish no worse than one game above .500, having played three home games away from Buffalo due to postponements. The Bisons were 36-35 at home in 2017, and have finished with a winning record at home twice since 2013.
Blue Jays Update
Toronto (60-70) dropped the last game of their homestand and final game of their three-game series with the Phillies, 8-3, on Sunday afternoon. The Blue Jays will now set out on the road for a six-game, seven-day series starting in Baltimore tonight. RHP Sam Gaviglio takes the bump for Toronto in the first of three games against the Orioles. After an off day on Thursday, Toronto will play a three-game interleague series in Miami.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons GM Mike Buczkowski Named 2019 International League "Executive of the Year"
- 'Ballpark Brew Bash' Craft Beer Festival Returns to Sahlen Field September 21
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.)