Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park
Norfolk's contest with Durham Monday night was suspended by rain with the score tied 1-1 in the sixth inning. The game will be resumed as part of a doubleheader at Durham when the Tides and Bulls meet again over the final four days of the season.
The Tides had taken the lead in the second frame, when Chance Sisco deposited a solo home run into the left-center bullpen for his third home run of the season. Sisco has now hit safely in eight of his last 10 games, batting .333 (11-33) with a homer and three runs batted in.
Durham knotted the score at 1-1 in the fourth inning on an RBI groundout by Brandon Snyder, and nearly took the lead one batter later. Nate Lowe hit a flyball to center, but Joey Rickard gunned down Austin Meadows at home plate to keep the contest tied at 1-1.
The game stayed that way until the sixth inning, when a pop-up thunderstorm halted play with extremely heavy rains. After a delay of 47 minutes, the game was suspended due to unplayable field conditions. It was the 17th home game this season in which the Tides have been either delayed or postponed by rain, and the city of Norfolk has now seen rain on 32 of the Tides' 70 home dates this season.
Norfolk starter Luis Ortiz allowed three hits and a run over 5.2 innings of work, walking one and striking out four. In five starts with the Tides since being acquired from Milwaukee, the 22-year-old right-hander has now posted a 3.04 ERA.
The Tides will take to the road for their final seven games of the season as they open up a three-game road set in Gwinnett on Tuesday night. Luis Ysla (0-2, 6.08) is slated to make the start for Norfolk and will be opposed by RHP Touki Toussaint (4-0, 1.62) with first pitch scheduled for 7:05.
Notes: Fans with tickets to Monday's suspended game can exchange them at the Harbor Park box office for a home game in April, 2019...Mike Yastrzemski singled to open the first inning, giving him hits in 12 of his last 14 games...Prior to Monday's game, OF DJ Stewart was activated from the Temporarily Inactive list, LHP Ryan O'Rourke was transferred to Norfolk from Class-A Frederick, and IF Sharlon Schoop was placed on Norfolk's disabled list...O'Rourke is the 68th different player to appear on Norfolk's roster this season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.