Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Gwinnett Stripers right-hander Touki Toussaint has been named the International League Pitcher of the Week for August 20-26, the league office announced Monday.
He is the second consecutive Stripers pitcher to win the award after Bryse Wilson was named Pitcher of the Week on August 20.
Toussaint, rated Atlanta's No. 7 prospect by MLB.com, went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA (0 ER in 7.0 IP) in one start during the week, August 23 at Durham. He shut down a Bulls lineup that night ranked second in the league in wins and team batting average, holding them to three hits and a walk while striking out eight.
The outing marked his fifth quality start in seven starts with Gwinnett. Since joining the club on July 5, he ranks second in the IL in ERA (1.62) and is yet to allow more than three runs in a start. He has also struck out at least eight batters in five of his seven starts with the Stripers.
The 22-year-old, acquired by the Braves from the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2015, is 4-0 with a 1.62 ERA (8 ER in 44.1 IP), 49 strikeouts and a .198 opponent average. Between Gwinnett and Double-A Misssissippi, he leads the Braves organization with a 2.49 ERA (36 ER in 130.1 IP), going 8-6 with a .204 opponent average in 23 starts. Toussaint is also 1-0 with a 1.50 ERA (1 ER in 6.0 IP) after making his Major League debut vs. Miami on Aug. 13.
It is the first career IL Pitcher of the Week award for Toussaint. He is the fifth Stripers player to earn an IL weekly award this season, joining Dustin Peterson (IL Batter of the Week for April 23-29), Danny Santana (IL Batter of the Week for May 21-27), Lucas Sims (IL Pitcher of the Week for July 2-8) and Wilson (IL Pitcher of the Week for August 13-19).
The Stripers wrap up a nine-game road trip Monday at Charlotte with Wes Parsons (6-3, 3.43) scheduled to start the 7:04 p.m. game. Tony Schiavone will have the play-by-play call on 97.7 FM and 93.5 FM The Other Side of the River beginning at 6:35 p.m.
Gwinnett's final homestand of the season begins Tuesday with three games against the Norfolk Tides, followed by a four-game series starting Friday vs. Charlotte. Tickets for all Gwinnett Stripers home games are on sale now at the Coolray Field Ticket Office. Call 678-277-0340 or visit GoStripers.com/tickets to purchase.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers to Host Preseason Party on March 3
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Bobby Cox to be Inducted into International League Hall of Fame
- Gwinnett Stripers Launch "Hook, 9 & Sinker" Packs for 2019
- Gwinnett Stripers Unveil "Little Anglers Kids Club"