Louisville Bats Notes: August 27
TONIGHT'S GAME: The Louisville Bats and Indianapolis Indians finish up a four-game split series with the Bats taking the first 2 games of the series before Indianapolis was victorious on Sunday, winning 5-3. Tonight, right-hander Matt Wisler is set to make his second start (eighth appearance) in a Bats uniform in what is expected to be a bullpen day for Louisville.
AGAINST INDIANAPOLIS: Before the current matchup, the Bats and Indians last faced off in a four-game split series from July 2-5, with each club winning a pair of games. Eight of the final 11 matchups of the season for the Bats come against Indianapolis, with 4 at each ballpark. In 15 matchups so far this season, IND owns a narrow 8-7 advantage, with LOU taking 3 of the last 4. Indianapolis has outscored Louisville this season by a 56-48 advantage.
TRANSACTIONS: Today the Louisville Bats placed on the disabled list right-hander Keury Mella and added left-hander Juan Martinez from Class AA Pensacola. Mella most recently started for Louisville on August 24, leaving his start after two innings. Martinez, set to make his Triple-A debut, has made 31 appearances (one start) between Class A Advanced Daytona and Pensacola this season, going 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA (25er/50.0ip) to go along with 28 walks and 45 strikeouts.
HERNAN GOES 4-FOR-4 TO GET 440: First baseman Hernan Iribarren went 4-for-4 with a double and 3 singles in Sunday's 5-3 loss, his first four-hit game of the season. The 4 hits were the most he's had in a game since he went 4-for-7 for Louisville on June 17, 2017 in an 8-6, 16-inning win at Norfolk, also pitching 3.0 scoreless innings and getting the win on the mound in that game.
-Iribarren's tremendous day at the plate also inched him closer to third place on Louisville's all-time hits list. Iribarren now has 440 career hits in a Louisville uniform, one hit shy of tying Bill Lyons and Gene Roof for third all-time on the all-time list since 1982. Kevin Barker is next on the list, in second place with 455 career hits in a Louisville uniform.
VANMETER'S HIT STREAK: Josh VanMeter went 1-for-4 with a double last night, extending his hitting streak to a season-best 7 games. During that stretch, he is batting .464 (13-for-28) with 6 doubles, one triple, 2 home runs and 9 RBI since August 19. His 13 hits and 9 extra-base hits are both most in the International League in that time frame. VanMeter has raised his Louisville batting average from .224 to .246 in that span.
IT HAPPENED AGAIN: In 7 of the Bats' last 10 games and 8 of their last 12, the team that records more hits in the game ended up losing. On Sunday, Louisville out-hit Indianapolis by a 10-9 advantage, but lost the game by a 5-3 score.
GOING FOR A SERIES WIN: If the Bats win today and successfully take 3 of 4 games from the Indianapolis Indians, they would have their first series win since July 30-August 1, when they took 2 of 3 games at Toledo. After that series, Louisville is just 0-3-3 in 6 series. When Louisville won its last series at Toledo, the victory was its fifth consecutive series win, the first time the Bats had done that since 2010, when they won their first 7 series coming out of the All-Star break.
1,000 STRIKEOUTS: Louisville pitching recorded its 1,000th strikeout of the season in Sunday's loss, when Louisville starting pitcher Lucas Sims struck out opposing starter Mitch Keller to end the bottom of the second inning.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.