One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2
A near sell-out crowd came to Coca-Cola Field Monday for one last night of Bisons Baseball before the end of the season... and to have Vladimir Guerrero Jr. bring them to their feet one last time.
Vladdy hit a two-run home run in the first inning, but that was all the scoring for Buffalo in the final home game of 2018 as the Bisons fell to the PawSox, 4-2, in front of 16,314 on Fan Appreciation Night.
With the loss, the Bisons close out the home portion of the 2018 season with a 33-31 record at Coca-Cola Field, though the records will show their home record as 33-34 because of three loses where the Herd was the 'home' team in visiting ballparks.
With yet another huge crowd just settling in for the finale, Guerrero Jr. brought them back on their feet. With Dwight Smith Jr. on first base, Vladdy demolished a 2-0 hanging curveball to deep left-centerfield for his sixth home run at Triple-A.
All six of those home runs have come at Coca-Cola Field. Baseball's top prospect averaged .397 in 16 games in Buffalo.
Video: Guerrero Jr. cracks two-run shot for Bisons
But that was all the offense the Bisons could muster in the defeat. PawSox starter William Cuevas struck out 10 over seven innings of work and it wasn't until the eighth that the Bisons put more than two runners on base in the same frame. Singles from Smith Jr. and Anthony Alford went for naught when Dalton Pompey grounded out to second to end the inning.
Pawtucket took the lead for good in the sixth inning with a two-run rally. Mike Miller and Kyle Wren hit back-to-back RBI-singles with the bases loaded to take a 3-2 advantage. Alford limited the damage on Wren's single by throwing out Josh Ockimey trying to score on the play.
Zach Stewart made the spot start as scheduled starter Murphy Smith was promoted to Toronto for his big league debut. The righty allowed a run in three innings of work. Newcomers Juliandry Higuera and Andrew Case each worked in relief after being called up to Herd. In his first game above A-ball, Higuera threw two shutout innings before he ran into trouble in the sixth and took the loss.
The Bisons will close out the season with eight games in seven days starting with Tuesday's doubleheader in Rochester. At 61-69, they would have to win out to avoid a losing record on the season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons to Host Nitro Circus 'You Got This' Tour -Friday, May 24 at Sahlen Field
- Bisons Unveil New â??Game of the Month' Ticket Membership Club: â??The Herd'
- Bisons to Hold Open Interviews for 2019 Season
- Bisons 2019 Promotional Schedule to Include Guerrero Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway, Game of Thrones Night and More
- Bobby Meacham to Return as Bisons Manager in 2019