RailRiders Take IronRail Series
ALLENTOWN, PA. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders outlasted the Lehigh Valley IronPigs Monday night 9-8 in 10 innings in the season finale between the two I.L. North Division rivals.
The game was tied entering the top of the 10th inning as the RailRiders put Ryan McBroom on the basepaths as the pace-of-play runner. Mike Ford began the inning with a double to plate McBroom as the RailRiders took a 7-6 lead. Following a pair of outs and a pair of walks to Zack Zehner and Mark Payton, Ricky Surum's spot in the order was due up. Instead of the right-hander Surum, the RailRiders opted for a left-handed pinch-hitter in Devyn Bolasky to face righty Mark Leiter Jr. Bolasky worked a full count before depositing a base hit into left field to extend the lead to 9-6.
In the bottom of the 10th, Joe Harvey remained on the mound for SWB. Dylan Cozens and Nick Rickles both provided RBI singles in the inning and Ryan Goins stepped to bat with a runner aboard representing the go-ahead run, but he grounded out to shortstop to end the game.
The scoring in the back-and-forth game began with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre taking a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Gary Sanchez, with the RailRiders on a Major League rehab assignment, hit the first pitch of his at-bat against Drew Anderson into the Lehigh Valley bullpen for a 1-0 edge. McBroom was hit by a pitch and scored on a double by Ford, who then scored on a double from Giovanny Urshela.
The IronPigs sent eight to the plate in the third against Nestor Cortes, scoring four runs on four hits, to take a 4-3 lead. Collin Cowgill and Joey Meneses drove in one run each and Cozens doubled in a pair to push Lehigh Valley ahead.
In the next half inning, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre recaptured the lead. Zack Zehner was hit by a pitch and Mark Payton walked. With two outs, Surum singled to center to drive in both baserunners for a 5-4 RailRiders lead.
J.P. Crawford hit a two-run home run off Cortes in the fifth inning as the IronPigs went in front 6-5, but Ford singled in Surum in the top of the seventh to square the game 6-6.
With the win, the RailRiders finish the season 11-9 against Lehigh Valley, marking a victory in the season-long IronRail Series as the trophy returns to Moosic, Pa. for the 2019 season.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre begins its final homestand of the 2018 regular season on Tuesday night against the Syracuse Chiefs. RHP Adonis Rosa (2-0, 1.59) will start for the RailRiders against RHP Austin Voth (4-8, 4.57) for the Chiefs. Visit swbrailriders.com or call (570) 969-BALL for tickets or promotional information for the final five home games of the 2018 season at PNC Field beginning Tuesday.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Bulls Blank RailRiders, 2-0
- SWB Game Notes
- RailRiders Blasted by Durham
- Judge & Stanton Join RailRiders on Rehab Assignments
- Game Notes