Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic
The Railriders reclaimed the Iron Rail with a 9-8 extra inning victory at Coca-Cola Park. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre takes the season series from the IronPigs 11-9.
Drew Anderson did not earn a decision but battled for the IronPigs. After allowing three runs in the top of the first including a solo home run by Gary Sanchez making a Good Shepherd Rehab Appearance; Anderson settled in to keep the Railriders off the board in the next two innings. In five-innings he allowed five hits, five runs and struck out three.
Trailing 3-0, the Pigs responded with four runs against Nestor Cortes in the bottom of the third. Collin Cowgill and Joey Meneses each singled to make it 3-2 and Dylan Cozens put the IronPigs in front with a two-run double.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre jumped back in front against Anderson in the fourth. A two-run single by Ricky Surum made it 5-4.
The back and forth contest continued in the bottom of the fifth. JP Crawford gave Lehigh Valley the lead once again with his first home run of the year to make it 6-5.
Tied again the bottom of the ninth against Joe Harvey, JP Crawford tripled to right field to put the go-ahead run at third with one out. Harvey induced a ground out of Aaron Altherr and a strike out of Mitch Walding to send the game to extras.
The Railriders reclaimed the lead in the top of the tenth against Mark Leiter Jr (3-1); a Mike Ford double scored the placed runner McBroom to make it 7-6. Adding two more runs in the frame, a two run single made it 9-6 in the tenth.
Lehigh Valley rallied but came up just short in the bottom of the tenth. RBI singles by Dylan Cozens and Nick Rickles made it a one run game but the Pigs were unable to score and dropped the final against the Railriders.
The IronPigs hit the road to wrap up the 2018 regular season with three games in Pawtucket before closing out the season in Rochester. The IronPigs will return to Coca-Cola Park on September 7th for game three of the IL-Divisional Round.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, go to IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.