Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday
The Syracuse Chiefs scored the final five runs Monday to steal the final road game of the season from the Red Wings, 6-3, at NBT Bank Stadium.
With the win the Chiefs win the series and send Rochester to a 35-35 road record for the 2018 season.
The Wings grabbed the early lead with a two-spot in the second inning. Kennys Vargas doubled to lead off the frame and was knocked in on a LaMonte Wade RBI single. Wade would come around to score two batters later on a Juan Graterol double to right.
The Chiefs cut the Wings lead in half on an RBI double from Matt Reynolds in the third inning.
Rochester grabbed that run back in the fifth inning when a Johnny Field fly ball to center was lost in the lights by the Syracuse centerfielder allowing Byron Buxton to score from third.
But back came the Chiefs in the sixth has they strung together four singles and walk off Fernando Romero and Ryne Harper to plate three runs and take their first lead of the game.
Romero went 5.2 innings allowing three runs on eight hits. He didn't walk a batter while striking out five over his 83-pitch outing.
The Chiefs would add two insurance runs in the eighth off Harper.
Buxton was the lone Wing with multiple hits Monday as he went 2-for-4 with a double and run scored.
The Wings head home to open their final homestand of the season on Tuesday - an 8-game, 7-day stand that includes 7 giveaways, 3 fireworks shows, Salute to "The Sandlot" Night and Fan Appreciation Day.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.