Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo Mud Hens dropped their final regular season home game of the year to the Columbus Clippers by a score of 4-2 in front of a sellout crowd.
Toledo starter Spencer Turnbull made his AAA debut by allowing a leadoff double, then striking out three Clippers in his first inning. He would go on to strikeout 11 of his first 13 batters.
The Mud Hens offense jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Jacob Robson hit Adam Wilk's first pitch for a single, then came around to score when Christin Stewart dropped a single into the right-center gap.
Turnbull dazzled through the first four innings but failed to record a strikeout in the fifth. In the sixth inning the Clippers were able to tie the game when Adam Rosales drove home Oscar Mercado. They took the lead a batter later when Eric Haase brought Bobby Bradley home with a sacrifice fly.
Dawel Lugo got to third with only one out in the bottom half of the sixth, however he attempted to score on a groundball to the first baseman. Bradley got the ball to the plate in time to stop Lugo from scoring. Turnbull walked Brandon Barnes to load the bases in the sixth. That brought in Hunter Cervenka out of the Hen Pen. Bradley was the first to greet him and hit a sac fly. That is the only run that would score.
Wilk held the Toledo attack down, allowing only one run to cross in seven innings. The Mud Hens were threatening in the seventh with two runners in scoring position, but Machado struck out to strand the runners.
Stewart walked to open the Hens half of the ninth. After a Daz Cameron strikeout, Jason Krizan came in to pinch hit for Edwin Espinal. That resulted in a groundout, leaving it up to Pete Kozma, who singled. Mike Gerber came in to pinch hit as the tying run, but struck out to end the game.
The Mud Hens will be on the road for the final seven games of the season. They will open the road trip against the Indianapolis Indians tomorrow. First pitch from Victory Field is set for 7:05 pm.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2018 Prospect Watch):
6. OF Christin Stewart: 2-for-3, single, double, RBI, walk
8. OF Daz Cameron: 0-for-3, walk
9. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP (DL)
14. IF Dawel Lugo: 0-for-4
16. OF Jacob Robson: 2-for-4, 2 singles, run
20. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP (DL)
21. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
22. LHP Tyler Alexander: DNP
26. OF Mike Gerber: 0-for-1
- Tonight marks the 22nd sellout this season and 485th sellout in Fifth Third Field history.
- Christin Stewart entered tonight fifth in the International League RBI's. By driving in a run in the first inning he is now tied four fourth in the IL.
- The Mud Hens will end the season with a 36-34 record at Fifth Third Field this year.
-Prior to Monday's game, Caleb Thielbar was assigned to Erie in order to make room for Mike Gerber, who was optioned to Toledo from Detroit.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.