International League Names Players of the Week
August 27, 2018 - International League (IL) News Release
The International League announced today that Indianapolis third baseman Jose Osuna and Gwinnett right-handed starter Touki Toussaint have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period from August 20-26. Osuna's award is the sixth such honor claimed by the Indians this season, tied for most in the IL with Columbus and Lehigh Valley. Toussaint is the fifth member of the Stripers to be so honored, and the team's second consecutive Pitcher of the Week following Bryse Wilson.
JOSE OSUNA, Indianapolis Indians IL BATTER OF THE WEEK Indianapolis heads into the season's final full week with a slim lead in the IL West Division thanks in no small part to the hot hitting of Jose Osuna, who batted .478 over the past week with three homers and an IL-best nine RBI. His two-run blast in the 1st inning of Thursday's 8-6 win over Columbus was key to helping the Indians catch the Clippers in the standings. He then added a pair of blasts over the weekend against Louisville as the Tribe nudged a game past Columbus into 1st place. Osuna is now hitting .325 for the season.
25-year-old Jose Osuna is in his ninth season as a professional player. He was signed by Pittsburgh as a non-drafted free agent prior to the 2010 campaign. Since the beginning of last season he has appeared in 134 games at the Major League level for the Pirates. Osuna is a native of Trujillo, Venezuela.
TOUKI TOUSSAINT, Gwinnett Stripers IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK On Thursday, Touki Toussaint showed why MLB.com ranks him as one of the top ten prospects in the Atlanta organization as he pitched Gwinnett to a 5-0 victory over the division-leading Durham Bulls. Toussaint cruised through 7.0 innings of scoreless baseball, allowing just three hits and a walk while striking out eight. After working out of a 1st inning jam, Toussaint retired 14 straight batters before issuing a walk to IL All-Star Kean Wong in the 6th . The win improved Toussaint's record to 4-0 since being promoted to Gwinnett from Double-A Mississippi in early July. The Stripers are 3.5 games back in the Wild Card race.
22-year-old Touki Toussaint is in his fifth season as a professional pitcher. The Braves acquired him in a 2015 trade with Arizona. He made his Major League debut on August 13, defeating the Marlins with a 6.0-inning, two-hit performance. Toussaint is a native of Pembroke Pines, Florida.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.