Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Chiefs overcame a two-run deficit to beat the Rochester Red Wings, 6-3, on Monday night at NBT Bank Stadium. With the win, Syracuse is 18-12 since July 27th. In those 18 victories, the Chiefs have come from behind ten times
Syracuse (59-74) trailed, 3-1, entering the bottom of the sixth inning. With one out, José Marmolejos and Yadiel Hernandez both singled, putting runners at first and second base. After a Moisés Sierra strikeout, Pedro Severino walked to load the bases. Adrian Sanchez followed with a singled into right field moving Severino to third and scoring Marmolejos and Hernandez to tie the game up, 3-3. Irving Falu then laid down a bunt for a single, bringing home Severino to give Syracuse a 4-3 lead.
The Chiefs added a pair of runs in the eighth. With one out, Sierra doubled. Two batters later, Sanchez doubled into the right-field corner, plating Sierra to push the Syracuse edge to two, 5-3. Falu followed with a single into right field that scored Sanchez, extending Syracuse's lead to three, 6-3.
Rochester (59-73) jumped out to the lead in the top of the second inning. Kennys Vargas led off with a double off the right-field wall. LaMonte Wade followed with a single to score Vargas for a 1-0 Red Wings edge. Wade moved to second base during the play on the throw home that tried to get Vargas. Two batters later, Wade scored on a Juan Graterol double to right field to give Rochester a 2-0 advantage.
Syracuse scored its first run in the bottom of the third. With two outs, Victor Robles doubled to left field. Matt Reynolds followed with double down the right-field line to bring home Robles and cut the Rochester lead to one, 2-1.
The Red Wings lengthened their lead in the fifth. Byron Buxton led off with a double. Nick Gordon then singled to right field, advancing Buxton to third and Johnny Field followed with a double to center field, scoring Buxton to make it a 3-1 ballgame.
The Chiefs now hit the road for the final time this season. Syracuse begins a three-game series in Moosic, Pennsylvania on Tuesday night against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. RHP Austin Voth is scheduled to start on the mound for the Chiefs opposite RHP Adonis Rosa for the RailRiders. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
Images from this story
Adrian Sanchez of the Syracuse Chiefs drove in three runs, all coming in the final four innings Monday night
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Mets Sweep Doubleheader against Red Sox on Saturday, Improve to 7-2 at NBT Bank Stadium this Season
- Syracuse and Pawtucket Postponed Friday, Doubleheader Scheduled for Saturday at 1:05 p.m.
- Mets Comeback Not Enough in 5-4 Loss to Red Wings
- Pitching Dominates as Mets and Red Wings Split Doubleheader on Tuesday
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday