SWB Game Notes
SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (67-63) vs. LEHIGH VALLEY IRONPIGS (79-53)
LHP Nestor Cortes (6-5, 3.28) vs. RHP Drew Anderson (8-4, 3.75)
| Game No. 131 | August 27, 2018 | Coca-Cola Park | Allentown, PA |
| First Pitch 7:05 p.m. | Pregame Show 6:35 p.m. |
LAST TIME OUT: The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders fell for a second straight ballgame to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, with Sunday marking a 5-3 loss one day after the IronPigs secured the I.L. North Division title.
RailRiders spot-starter Raynel Espinal stuck out six of the first seven batters he faced and eight of the first nine outs recorded defensively in his third start of the season. Overall, RailRiders pitching struck out 15 batters with Stephen Tarpley (2.0 IP, 3 K), Chance Adams (2.0 IP, 2 K) and Brady Lail (1.0 IP, 2 K) chipping-in on the afternoon.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plated the game's first run in the top of the third when Tyler Wade singled in Devyn Bolasky for a 1-0 edge, but Lehigh Valley then responded a few innings later. The IronPigs scored three runs on three hits and a walk in the bottom of the fourth inning. Aaron Altherr doubled in Joey Meneses to tie the game before scoring on a double by Danny Ortiz for a 2-1 IronPigs lead. Zach Green singled home Ortiz to extend the lead to 3-1.
Matt McBride hit a solo home run off Chance Adams in the home half of the seventh to make it a 4-1 game. SWB brought the game back to within a run with a two-run home run from Giovanny Urshela, but then Dylan Cozens drilled a homer in the 8th for a 5-3 final.
MAKING THE OPPOSING PITCHERS GROAN: Rehabbing a groin injury, C Gary Sanchez is in the lineup Monday night for the RailRiders against Lehigh Valley. He bats second and is not expected to play the entire game in his first game on his second rehab stint. Sanchez already played 3 games in 4 days with the RailRiders from 7/15 - 7/18 against Rochester and @ Toledo, going 2-for-12 with 2 HR. More recently, he played in a rehab game for the GCL East Yankees against the GCL Phillies and was 0-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
ACES IN THE HOLE: The top pitching prospect in the Yankees organization, LHP Justus Sheffield, made his bullpen debut for the RailRiders Tuesday night in Buffalo and pitched for a second time out of the bullpen Saturday in Lehigh Valley. RHP Chance Adams has been shifted to the bullpen and is expected to make his bullpen debut Sunday afternoon at some point in back of RHP Raynel Espinal. In his first season out of Dallas Baptist University where Adams was often used as a bullpen arm, all 14G in which he appeared were out of the bullpen to limit his innings. Since the start of the 2016 season however, the only one of his 75G that was not a start was August 18, 2016 when he came out of the bullpen in back of MLB rehabbing RHP Bryan Mitchell who pitched that night for the Trenton Thunder against the Akron RubberDucks.
RACE TO THE FINISH: The Wild Card race in the International League is heating up as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (67-63) hit the homestretch of the 2018 season. With 8G to go, SWB finds itself 1.0 GB of the Columbus Clippers (69-63) for the Wild Card lead. It's looking like a four-team race for the final playoff spot with the Norfolk Tides (68-64, 1.0 GB) and Toledo Mud Hens (68-63, 0.5 GB) also making a playoff push as well.
AND THEN THERE WAS ONE: With RHP J.P. Feyereisen heading to the Disabled List, the RailRiders have only one player who was on the SWB Opening Day roster and has not been on the DL or played with another team in the Yankees organization -- RHP Raynel Espinal, who is in his first season of Triple-A. RHP Cale Coshow was on the Opening Day roster but was on the DL from July 13-20 and the same can be said for INF Mike Ford who was on the DL from June 8 - July 12 (but player 6G on rehab with SS-A Staten Island).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- MiLB Announces 2019 Copa de la Diversion Schedule
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Next Week
- Copa de la Diversion Gala on March 29 at PNC Field
- 2019 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Promotional Schedule Unveiled
- Former Red Barons OF in 2019 I.L. Hall of Fame Class