Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3
INDIANAPOLIS - The Louisville Bats (57-72) were defeated 5-3 by the Indianapolis Indians (70-62) on Sunday at Victory Field. The loss snaps a three-game winning streak for Louisville.
The Bats could not repeat their recent magic in late games today, losing a two-run game. Louisville led 2-0 early, after a throwing error by Indianapolis third baseman Jose Osuna allowed the first run to cross, with Hernan Iribarren's RBI single giving Louisville an early 2-0 lead.
Indianapolis would promptly tie it up in the home half of the first on a two-run homer by Osuna, off Louisville starting pitcher Lucas Sims. The right-hander went 5.0 innings, allowing three earned runs on six hits and two home runs, walking none and striking out six on 88 pitches, 58 strikes.
Left-hander Brandon Finnegan got the loss in relief of Sims, surrendering what turned out to be the game-winning run in the bottom of the sixth, a Jordan Luplow pinch-hit single to give Indianapolis a 4-3 lead. The Indians would extend their lead in the bottom of the eighth, grabbing an insurance run on Eric Wood's third home run in as many days against Louisville pitching.
Hernan Iribarren had an excellent day at the plate, going 4-for-4 and recording his first four-hit game since June 17, 2017 at Norfolk, when he went 4-for-7 in an 8-6 win in 16 innings against the Tides, also tossing 3.0 innings and getting the win on the mound in that game.
The Bats and Indians are back at it tomorrow to wrap up a four-game split series. Louisville looks for a series win with their starting pitcher yet to be announced. Indianapolis is expected to start left-hander Brandon Waddell (4-7, 4.32) with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Kramer, Wood Record Two Hits Apiece in Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- One Last Homer for Vladdy as Bisons Fall 4-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Take IronRail Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fall in Finale; Iron Rail Returns to Moosic - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Dominate Indians in 14-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Beat the Stripers 3-1 in Monday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs Pull off Another Comeback Win, Surging Past Wings, 6-3 - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Fall in Final Road Game, 6-3, Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights Outpace Stripers Monday to Split Series - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cuevas Fans 10 in 4-2 Win over Buffalo - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park - Norfolk Tides
- Spencer Turnbull Impresses in Hens Debut - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Name C Danny Jansen 2018 Team MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes 8-27 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped, Losing 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 27 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Sox Rehabbers on the Horizon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Monday, August 27, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs' Playoff Schedule Now Official - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-72) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Buffalo Bisons Announce 2019 Playing Schedule - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 27th, August 31st-September 3rd - Syracuse Mets
- Osuna Slugs Way to International League Player of the Week Award - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Touki Toussaint Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Announce Return of Ballpark Golf Course, 'The Links at Coca-Cola Field' - Buffalo Bisons
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Knights Sink the Stripers 10-4 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Sims Strikes out 13 as Bats Win in Extras, 3-1
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (7-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-5)
- Bats Win Series Opener at Victory Field, 3-2
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (6-9) at Indianapolis Indians (9-4)
- Louisville Drops Rain-Shortened Game to Clippers, 8-5