Steelheads Fall 4-1 to Grizzlies in Weekend Opener
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (18-123-1) earned the early lead but fell short in a 4-1 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (21-11-2) on Friday night from Maverik Center.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Steelheads got out in front early in the game for the second time in three contests against the Grizzlies. Forward Chase Zieky (7:36 1st) slipped a shot from the right circle to snag the 1-0 advantage, but the Grizzlies found the answering strike before the end of the opening frame. An early shorthanded goal by the Grizzlies created momentum that they would hold through the middle frame. Despite pressure put back by the Steelheads, the Grizzlies added two more and finished off with the 4-1 win.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. UTA - Trey Bradley (2 shorthanded goals(
2. UTA - Brian Bowen (game-tying goal)
3. UTA - Peyton Jones (24-25 saved)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Chase Zieky (F) - first period goal
- Chase Zieky: Zieky has been the hottest player for the Steelheads lately, now earning goals in three-straight games and four goals in that span.
- Shawn McBride: McBride added another helper in the lone tally of the game, extending his point streak to three games with four points (1-3-4).
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads and Grizzlies have had some of their lowest power play opportunities against each other this season, especially in their recent stretch. The Steelheads have conceded no more than two power plays in all seven games of the season series thus far while the Grizzlies have held the Steelheads to three power plays or less in every game since allowing 11 opportunities on Opening Night. The Steelheads are 8-for-23 (34.8%) against the Grizzlies this season while Utah is 3-for-11 (27.3%).
The Steelheads and Grizzlies return to action on Saturday, Jan. 15 at 7:10 p.m. from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 95.3 KTIK "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & FloHockey.tv.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2022
- Point Earns Shutout in Steelheads 6-0 Road Rout over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Rush Claim 5-3 Win over Thunder on #ILOVEWICHITA Night - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Win Streak Ends at Five Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Best Thunder, 5-3, for Third Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Rinaldi Leads Offense, Rabbits Down Everblades 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears' Win Streak Snapped in 4-1 Loss to Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hawkins Puts on a Show as Walleye Shut Down Komets, 3-2 - Toledo Walleye
- McCarron Ties All-Time Points Record in 3-1 Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Sneak Away with Overtime Win over Iowa - Indy Fuel
- Railers Take Down Royals 2-1 on Marvel Super Hero Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Sunday's Greenville Swamp Rabbits Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cockrell's Hat Trick Puts Nailers Back in Win Column - Wheeling Nailers
- All-Star Pritchard Scores First Since December 1 in 2-1 Loss to Railers - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Postpone Sunday Game Due to Inclement Weather - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heartlanders' Beraldo Scores Late Goal, Landers Get Another Point - Iowa Heartlanders
- Admirals Drop Close Defensive Battle to South Carolina, 2-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Fight Hard in Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Mason Mitchell Signs PTO with AHL Stockton Heat - Idaho Steelheads
- Lightning Reassign Miftakhov to AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Gameday: Guns N Hoses Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Meet Worcester in Second Leg of Back-To-Back at DCU Center - Reading Royals
- Henry and Nielsen Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Sign Rookie Tyler Hinam - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 15, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Aim to Close out Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at KC, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 4-1 on Bradley's 2 Shorthanded Goals - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 4-1 to Grizzlies in Weekend Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- Late Goal Helps Rapid City Sink Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fitze, Tufto Help Solar Bears Hammer Nailers, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Rout Mavericks to Open Weekend Series, 9-4
- Steelheads Sign Forward Willie Knierim, Claim Defenseman Ryan Orgel
- Zack Andrusiak Traded to Cincinnati Cyclones
- Pink in the Rink Weekend Returns, Free Vaccines to Open Homestand
- Steelheads Weekly - January 24, 2022