Point Earns Shutout in Steelheads 6-0 Road Rout over Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - Goaltender Colton Point stopped all 25 shots as the Idaho Steelheads (19-13-1) took a strong 6-0 win over the Utah Grizzlies (21-12-2) on Saturday night from Maverik Center.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Steelheads got out in front early in the first period thanks to a one-time shot from captain A.J. White (PP, 3:54 1st) on a 4-on-3 power play to stretch ahead 1-0. White (3:46 2nd) then added his second goal of the night on a rebound pushed through a scrum to double the lead before forward Yauheni Aksiantsiuk (8:46 2nd) scored on a breakaway exactly five minutes later to eventually send the game to the third period, 3-0. The Steelheads blew the game open in the final frame with a shorthanded strike by forward Zack Andrusiak (SH, 4:59 3rd) as well as a second from Aksiantsiuk (PP, 9:05 3rd) and a second shorthanded goal coming from forward Shawn McBride (SH, 12:03 3rd) in the 6-0 victory.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. IDH - Colton Point (25-save shutout)
2. IDH - A.J. White (2 goals, game-winner)
3. IDH - Yauheni Aksiantsiuk (two goals)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Colton Point - 2nd-career shutout, 1st of the season
- A.J. White: White put home the first two goals of the game, earning both his game-winning goals in the team's last two victories. White leads the Steelheads in all scoring categories (13-21-34).
- Yauheni Aksiantsiuk: Aksiantsiuk also earned a two-goal night for his third multi-goal game and first points since December 11. Aksiantsiuk now sits tied for second on the team in goals (11).
- Colton Point: Point earned his first shutout of the season in a 25-save effort as well as his second of his career. He's now won back-to-back games as his goals-against average plummets to 2.38 and save percentage hops up to .921.
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads earned their biggest win of the season in the rout of the Grizzlies. The six-goal output is tied for the second-most in a game this season with their six goals in last Friday's 6-3 win at home and only trails their seven tallies on Opening Night, also against the Grizzlies. The shutout for Colton Point is the largest goal-differential in a shutout for the Steelheads since Nov. 24, 2018 when Tomas Sholl stopped 41 shots against the Rapid City Rush in a 6-0 win. The Steelheads have earned a 6-0 shutout now 10 times in the ECHL era with the most goals in a shutout coming at seven tallies on Dec. 21, 2005 in Phoenix as well as Feb. 24, 2007 against Utah.
The Steelheads and Grizzlies finish their three-game weekend on Monday, Jan. 17 at 1:10 p.m. from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 12:50 p.m. on 95.3 KTIK "The Ticket" & FloHockey.tv.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2022
- Point Earns Shutout in Steelheads 6-0 Road Rout over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Rush Claim 5-3 Win over Thunder on #ILOVEWICHITA Night - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Win Streak Ends at Five Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Best Thunder, 5-3, for Third Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Rinaldi Leads Offense, Rabbits Down Everblades 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears' Win Streak Snapped in 4-1 Loss to Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hawkins Puts on a Show as Walleye Shut Down Komets, 3-2 - Toledo Walleye
- McCarron Ties All-Time Points Record in 3-1 Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Sneak Away with Overtime Win over Iowa - Indy Fuel
- Railers Take Down Royals 2-1 on Marvel Super Hero Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Sunday's Greenville Swamp Rabbits Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cockrell's Hat Trick Puts Nailers Back in Win Column - Wheeling Nailers
- All-Star Pritchard Scores First Since December 1 in 2-1 Loss to Railers - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Postpone Sunday Game Due to Inclement Weather - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heartlanders' Beraldo Scores Late Goal, Landers Get Another Point - Iowa Heartlanders
- Admirals Drop Close Defensive Battle to South Carolina, 2-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Fight Hard in Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Mason Mitchell Signs PTO with AHL Stockton Heat - Idaho Steelheads
- Lightning Reassign Miftakhov to AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Gameday: Guns N Hoses Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Meet Worcester in Second Leg of Back-To-Back at DCU Center - Reading Royals
- Henry and Nielsen Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Sign Rookie Tyler Hinam - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 15, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Aim to Close out Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at KC, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 4-1 on Bradley's 2 Shorthanded Goals - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 4-1 to Grizzlies in Weekend Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- Late Goal Helps Rapid City Sink Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fitze, Tufto Help Solar Bears Hammer Nailers, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.