Fuel Sneak Away with Overtime Win over Iowa
INDIANAPOLIS - Playing their second game in as many days, the Indy Fuel hosted the Iowa Heartlanders on Saturday night. Although heading into the first intermission trailing by a goal, the Fuel would score three goals throughout the game and eventually earn the 4-3 win in overtime.
Getting on the board four minutes into the game, Jan Mandat walked along the blue line and fired a shot past a screened Corbin Kaczperski. The Heartlanders would respond four minutes later when Connor Graham jumped on a rebound and tucked it past Fuel goaltender Mitch Gillam. Jake Smith gave Iowa their first lead of the game when he went streaking down the sideboards and wristed a puck past Gillam.
Scoring his first goal of the season, Ryan Zuhlsdorf tied the game for the Fuel when he fired a wrist shot from the slot and beat Kaczperski. The Fuel would outshoot the Heartlanders 8-3 through the first half of the second period but Kaczperski would hold them at bay. Jan Mandat would score his second goal of the game when Kirill Chaika sprung him on a breakaway and he put a wrist shot over the shoulder of Kaczperski to send the Fuel into the locker room with a 3-2 lead.
Killing off a long 5-on-3 penalty, the Fuel held on to their one-goal lead through the first 10 minutes of the third period. After a barrage of chance, the Heartlanders would eventually tie the game when Adrien Beraldo launched a shot from the blue line that would sneak past a screened Mitch Gillam.
Neither team would score in the remaining minutes, sending the game to a seven-minute overtime period. With the only two shots in the overtime period, the Fuel eventually earned the win when Jared Thomas tucked a puck past Kaczperski.
Various ticket options are now on sale for the Fuel's 8th season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2021-22 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2022
- Point Earns Shutout in Steelheads 6-0 Road Rout over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Rush Claim 5-3 Win over Thunder on #ILOVEWICHITA Night - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Win Streak Ends at Five Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Best Thunder, 5-3, for Third Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Rinaldi Leads Offense, Rabbits Down Everblades 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears' Win Streak Snapped in 4-1 Loss to Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hawkins Puts on a Show as Walleye Shut Down Komets, 3-2 - Toledo Walleye
- McCarron Ties All-Time Points Record in 3-1 Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Sneak Away with Overtime Win over Iowa - Indy Fuel
- Railers Take Down Royals 2-1 on Marvel Super Hero Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Sunday's Greenville Swamp Rabbits Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cockrell's Hat Trick Puts Nailers Back in Win Column - Wheeling Nailers
- All-Star Pritchard Scores First Since December 1 in 2-1 Loss to Railers - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Postpone Sunday Game Due to Inclement Weather - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heartlanders' Beraldo Scores Late Goal, Landers Get Another Point - Iowa Heartlanders
- Admirals Drop Close Defensive Battle to South Carolina, 2-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Fight Hard in Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Mason Mitchell Signs PTO with AHL Stockton Heat - Idaho Steelheads
- Lightning Reassign Miftakhov to AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Gameday: Guns N Hoses Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Meet Worcester in Second Leg of Back-To-Back at DCU Center - Reading Royals
- Henry and Nielsen Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Sign Rookie Tyler Hinam - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 15, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Aim to Close out Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at KC, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 4-1 on Bradley's 2 Shorthanded Goals - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 4-1 to Grizzlies in Weekend Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- Late Goal Helps Rapid City Sink Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fitze, Tufto Help Solar Bears Hammer Nailers, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.