Game Notes: at Wichita
GAME #36 at Wichita
1/15/22 | INTRUST Bank Arena | 7:05 P.M. CST
LAST TIME OUT: Calder Brooks scored the eventual game-winning goal with 3:20 to go in the third period and the Rapid City Rush beat the Wichita Thunder, 3-2, Friday night at INTRUST Bank Arena. Brett Gravelle had a goal and an assist, Derek Perl picked up two assists and Dillon Kelley made 30 saves on 32 shots to earn the win in net in his Rush debut.
ANYTHING BUT ROCKY FOR GRAVELLE: Brett Gravelle has three goals and an assist in Rapid City's two games in Wichita this weekend and is now tied for second on the team with 12 goals this season. In five games against the Thunder, Gravelle leads the Rush with four goals and is second with five points.
CHABOT SAYS HELLO: Gabe Chabot scored in the first period on Friday night and now has goals in three straight games. The second-year pro is now fourth on the team with 22 points and sixth with nine goals.
NEW GUYS IN NET...NOT BAD: Dillon Kelley made his Rapid City debut in net on Friday night and stopped 30 of the 32 shots that he faced in Rapid City's 3-2 win. Kelley had previously played one game for the Kansas City Mavericks and made 29 saves on 30 shots. He was picked up by the Rush in a trade on Wednesday. Each of the goalies on Rapid City's active roster were added this week; Bailey Brkin made his Rush debut on Thursday and stopped 28 of 29 shots in the 4-1 win.
THE SEASON SERIES: Saturday's game is the sixth matchup this season between the Rush and the Thunder, all of which have taken place in Wichita. The Rush are 3-1-0-1 against the Thunder thus far and the two teams will meet three more times. Wichita is scheduled to visit Rapid City for three games in three nights from February 10-12.
MARCH TO THE BOX: The Rush have committed at least five penalties in four of their past five games and have been shorthanded 25 times over those five games. Rapid City went 5-for-5 on the penalty kill in the win on Friday, snapping a streak of five-straight games with a power play goal against.
ODDS AND ENDS: Derek Perl matched a season high with two assists on Friday night. It was his second two assist game of the season and both of them have come against Wichita...the Rush have now won on back-to-back nights for only the second time this season after winning on Thursday and Friday. They last did it with back-to-back home wins on December 10 and 11 against Kansas City...Rapid City is now 8-7-1-1 on the road this season...Saturday's game is the third in three nights for both the Rush and the Thunder but is also the fourth in five nights for Wichita, who played at Kansas City on Tuesday before returning home.
UP NEXT: Rapid City will head home for three games in three nights against the Idaho Steelheads next weekend. That series begins on Friday night with puck drop scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2022
- Point Earns Shutout in Steelheads 6-0 Road Rout over Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Rush Claim 5-3 Win over Thunder on #ILOVEWICHITA Night - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Win Streak Ends at Five Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Best Thunder, 5-3, for Third Straight Win - Rapid City Rush
- Rinaldi Leads Offense, Rabbits Down Everblades 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears' Win Streak Snapped in 4-1 Loss to Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Hawkins Puts on a Show as Walleye Shut Down Komets, 3-2 - Toledo Walleye
- McCarron Ties All-Time Points Record in 3-1 Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Sneak Away with Overtime Win over Iowa - Indy Fuel
- Railers Take Down Royals 2-1 on Marvel Super Hero Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Sunday's Greenville Swamp Rabbits Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cockrell's Hat Trick Puts Nailers Back in Win Column - Wheeling Nailers
- All-Star Pritchard Scores First Since December 1 in 2-1 Loss to Railers - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Postpone Sunday Game Due to Inclement Weather - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heartlanders' Beraldo Scores Late Goal, Landers Get Another Point - Iowa Heartlanders
- Admirals Drop Close Defensive Battle to South Carolina, 2-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Fight Hard in Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Mason Mitchell Signs PTO with AHL Stockton Heat - Idaho Steelheads
- Lightning Reassign Miftakhov to AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Gameday: Guns N Hoses Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Meet Worcester in Second Leg of Back-To-Back at DCU Center - Reading Royals
- Henry and Nielsen Reassigned to Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Sign Rookie Tyler Hinam - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers: January 15, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Everblades Aim to Close out Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at KC, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 4-1 on Bradley's 2 Shorthanded Goals - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Fall 4-1 to Grizzlies in Weekend Opener - Idaho Steelheads
- Late Goal Helps Rapid City Sink Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fitze, Tufto Help Solar Bears Hammer Nailers, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.