Solar Bears Gain Ryan Obuchowski in Trade with Toledo
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have acquired the rights to defenseman Ryan Obuchowski from the Toledo Walleye prior to the ECHL future considerations deadline of 3 p.m. ET today. The acquisition of Obuchowski completes the future considerations portion of the Dec. 22 deal with Toledo that saw Orlando send forward Justin Kea to the Walleye in exchange for two future considerations, one of which was completed on Dec. 26 when the Solar Bears gained rookie defenseman Kevin Lohan from Toledo.
Obuchowski (oh-boo-COW-skee), 27, skated in 69 regular season games with the Walleye during the 2018-19 campaign, logging 18 points (6g-12a) and 42 penalty minutes. He then added six points (2g-4a) and six penalty minutes in 24 playoff contests as he helped the Walleye reach the Kelly Cup Finals, where the club ultimately fell in six games to the Newfoundland Growlers.
In 210 career professional games with the Walleye and Missouri Mavericks, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound defender has picked up 69 points (13g-56a) and 123 penalty minutes.
Prior to turning pro, the West Bloomfield, Michigan native played collegiate hockey for Yale University, where he skated in 134 career games for the Bulldogs program, collecting 52 points (16g-32a) and 60 penalty minutes. As a freshman during the 2012-13 season, Obuchowski helped Yale capture its first-ever Frozen Four championship.
Obuchowksi also played junior hockey for two seasons with the Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League, where he posted totals of 54 points (12g-42a) and 67 penalty minutes in 114 career games and was named to the USHL Second All-Star Team in 2011-12.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 13, 2019
- Admirals Acquire Charlie O'connor from Toledo - Norfolk Admirals
- Icemen Bolster Forwards Unit with the Addition of Pohlkamp & Reichert - Jacksonville IceMen
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2019-2020 Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Gain Ryan Obuchowski in Trade with Toledo - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Complete Trades - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Finalize Pair of Future Considerations Trades - Reading Royals
- Adirondack Deals Reichert to Jacksonville - Adirondack Thunder
- Solar Bears Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Announce Full 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals' 2019-20 Schedule Announced - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Release 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers HC Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Worcester Railers HC
- Fuel Release 2019-20 Full Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Americans Announce 2019-2020 Schedule - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Release Full 2019-2020 Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Reveal Full 2019-20 Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Announce 2019-20 Schedule - Fort Wayne Komets
- Thunder Release Full Schedule for 2019-20 Season - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Releases 2019-20 Schedule - ECHL
- Mariners Announce Full 2019-20 Schedule - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Announce 2019-2020 Season Schedule - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule Announced - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Unveils Full Schedule for 2019-20 Season - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Acquire Forward Marc-Olivier Roy from Fort Wayne - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Complete Two Future Considerations Trades - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears to Host Equipment Sale on Saturday, June 15 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign John Snowden to Multi-Year Agreement - Newfoundland Growlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.