Roadrunners Look to Clinch Playoff Berth this Weekend at Tucson Arena
TUCSON, AZ - The Tucson Roadrunners, proud American Hockey League affiliate of the Arizona Coyotes, conclude their regular season schedule with hopes a clinching a second consecutive playoff berth this Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. when they take on the I-8 Border Rival San Diego Gulls at 7 p.m. at Tucson Arena.
How The Roadrunners Get In...
The Roadrunners can punch their ticket to the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs with a combination of the following scenarios:
Two (2) Tucson wins vs. San Diego*
Two (2) Tucson overtime/shootout losses vs. San Diego and two (2) Colorado regulation losses vs. San Jose
One (1) Tucson win vs. San Diego and two (2) Colorado regulation losses vs. San Jose
One (1) Tucson win and one (1) overtime/shootout loss vs. San Diego and one (1) Colorado regulation loss vs. San Jose.
*one win must come in regulation
Should Tucson finish tied in points with Colorado or San Diego, the Roadrunners hold the tiebreaker over both, which is regulation wins.
This season Tucson is 5-1 against San Diego, having clinched the I-8 Border Trophy for a second straight year on December 5. The Roadrunners have also won the last four meetings at Tucson Arena.
April 13, 2018 - Tucson wins 3-2 @ Tucson Arena
April 14, 2018 - Tucson wins 6-3 @ Tucson Arena
October 6, 2018 - Tucson wins 6-4 @ Tucson Arena
October 12, 2018 - Tucson wins 3-2 @ Pechanga Arena
October 27, 2018 - Tucson wins 4-3 @ Pechanga Arena
November 7, 2018 - Tucson wins 6-3 @ Tucson Arena
December 5, 2018 - Tucson wins 5-2 @ Pechanga Arena
February 20, 2019 - San Diego 5-2 @ Pechanga Arena
The opposing San Diego Gulls come to the Old Pueblo facing the same exact situation they were in one year ago today. The I-8 rival needed just one point to clinch their playoff spot and were swept by the Roadrunners in a three-game series over the final four nights, missing the postseason play. The Gulls current magic number is 2.
Key Players For Getting It Done...
Tucson will enter the weekend with added reinforcements, receiving forward Conor Garland on loan from the Arizona Coyotes Tuesday. Garland, a third-year Roadrunner, recorded 13 goals in a 47-game stint with the NHL parent club this season, on top of 19 points in 18 games with Tucson to start the season and an additional assist last night in his return.
Forward Michael Bunting leads all Roadrunners skaters with one goal and nine assists for a total of ten points in six games against San Diego this season.
How To Attend...
Two ticket packages are available now for fans seeking to attend Friday night's game, one available to the general public and one for college students:
The package, which is just $29.50, also contains a $5 giveback to the University of Arizona Men's Club Hockey team. Packages can be purchased by calling the Roadrunners at 866-774-6253 or.
The Gentle Ben's College Night package is only $25 for students and can be purchased now by calling the Roadrunners at 866-774-6253.
Fans coming out to cheer on the Roadrunners on Friday at 7 p.m. will receive a Go Green Grocery Bag Giveaway.
The season finale on Saturday at 7 p.m. is Fan Appreciation Night. All fans in attendance will be eligible to receive giveaways and prizes from valued partners of the Roadrunners such as The HUB, Playground, In-N-Out, Brother John's Beer, Bourbon & BBQ, Ramada, Chic-Fil-A and more. One Roadrunners fan will also take home a brand new smart TV!
Saturday is also a historical date in the franchise history, marking the 100th game at Tucson Arena.
Upcoming Media Appearances
Leading up to the weekend, don't forget to catch the Roadrunners on local Tucson television with the following appearances:
Roadrunners Playoff Strips
The best way to never miss a moment of the Roadrunners 2019 Calder Cup Playoff run is to lock in your same great seat for all home games at Tucson Arena with a playoff strip! Starting at just $17 per game in the first round, take advantage of this offer by paying per game as they are played by contacting the Roadrunners front office today at 866-774-6253.
Roadrunners Season Ticket Memberships
The best way to never miss a moment of Roadrunners action, lock in your same great seat for all 34 Roadrunners home games today. Starting at just $11.50 per game, enjoy exclusive benefits that only Season Ticket Members have access to including your own personal Ticketmaster Account Manager, first right to 2020 Calder Cup Playoff tickets, a special membership gift and a replica Roadrunners Kachina sweater (one per account) for the 2019-20 season! Call the Roadrunners today at 866-774-6253 to speak with your representative.
The 33-25-5-3 Tucson Roadrunners enter the final weekend of the regular season at Tucson Arena against their I-8 Border Rival, the San Diego Gulls. Forward Nick Merkley scored a pair of goals Wednesday night in Bakersfield, bringing his total to six over the last six games for the team.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2019
- Monsters Stumble, Fall to Checkers 4-3 in Overtime - Cleveland Monsters
- Saarela Seals Charlotte's 50th Win with OT Winner - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Look to Clinch Playoff Berth this Weekend at Tucson Arena - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hogs Cap Regular Season with Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Recalls CJ Motte and Dante Salituro from Allen - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Marlies Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Star Teams - Toronto Marlies
- Barracuda Trainer Will Leonard and Sara Leonard Celebrate Birth of Baby Girl Twins - San Jose Barracuda
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 27 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jonne Tammela, Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Alec McCrea to One-Year Contract, Assign Nagle to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Carter Verhaeghe Named 2018-19 AHL First Team All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- Carr Named to 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Benson and Starrett Named to 2018-19 AHL Second All-Star Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack's John Gilmour Earns First-Team AHL All-Star Honors - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Defenseman Zach Redmond Named to 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team - Rochester Americans
- Ethan Prow Named 2018-19 AHL Second Team All-Star - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ness Named 2018-19 AHL Second Team All-Star - Hershey Bears
- Nedeljkovic, Poturalski Named to AHL All-Star Teams - Charlotte Checkers
- 2018-19 American Hockey League First and Second All-Star Teams Named - AHL
- Thunderbirds Close 2018-19 Season with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Reassign Eric Comrie to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Declan Chisholm - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Recall Goaltender Adam Morrison from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Senators Announce Fan Appreciation Details - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Capitals Recall Ilya Samsonov from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Reign Strikes for Biggest Win of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Secure Home-Ice with 4-3 Win at San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners Edged in Bakersfield as Pacific's Playoff Race Thickens - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Drop Regular Season Home Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Currie Notches a Hat Trick as Condors Win 40th Game, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Drop Midweek Tilt to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Snaps Slide with 7-3 Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1 - Laval Rocket
- LaLeggia Leads Rampage to Comeback Win over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Join the Roadrunners June 22-23 at TCC Kid's Fair
- Coyotes Sign Russo to One-Year Two-Way Contract
- Coyotes Sign Russo to One-Year Contract
- Roadrunners to Hold Stanley Cup Watch Party at Culinary Dropout
- Roadrunners Announce Opening Night and Additional Dates for 2019-20