Barracuda Secure Home-Ice with 4-3 Win at San Diego
San Diego, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (38-21-3-4) wrapped up its 10-game season series with the San Diego Gulls (35-24-4-3) (Anaheim Ducks) on Wednesday night at the Pechanga Arena and picked up their third-straight win by a final count of 4-3.
With the victory, the Barracuda guaranteed themselves home-ice for the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs.
In the first, Jack Kopacka threaded a pass to Justin Kloos (18) and as Kloos moved in alone on Josef Korenar he chipped a shot under the bar at 9:46 to open up the scoring. The Barracuda would go on three power-plays after SD's goal, including twice having a five-on-three advantage, but failed to even the score as the Gulls took their 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
In the second, the Maxim Letunov won a draw to Thomas Gregoire and Francis Perron (18) was able to tip a point shot through Kevin Boyle's five-hole to tie the game at 1-1 at 11:33. Then, Jon Martin (11) would give San Jose its first lead as Letunov centered a below the goal-line pass to Martin in the low-slot, off the draw, and Martin slid a shot under Boyle at 14:27. With just 10 seconds left in the second, Evan Weinger (10) swiped in a low shot through traffic and past Boyle right off a John McCarthy face-off win.
In the third, Letunov (12) collected his third point of the night and gave the Barracuda a 4-1 lead at 9:58 as Martin poked a Perron pass up ice to give Letunov a breakaway and the rookie forward would beat Boyle with a backhand-to-forehand move. The Gulls would make it interesting with a Ben Street (7) power-play goal at 13:45 and a Corey Tropp (20) goal at 19:53, but the Barracuda would hold on for the 4-3 win.
Korenar (23-8-2) made 29 saves on 32 San Diego shots to earn his third consecutive win, while Boyle (24-13-1) suffered the loss after giving four goals on 33 shots.
San Jose wraps up the regular season this upcoming Friday and Saturday in Colorado when they take on the Colorado Eagles for of pair of games. All Barracuda action can be heard live on 1220 KDOW, the Sharks + SAP Center App and watched on watchtheahl.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2019
- Monsters Stumble, Fall to Checkers 4-3 in Overtime - Cleveland Monsters
- Saarela Seals Charlotte's 50th Win with OT Winner - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Look to Clinch Playoff Berth this Weekend at Tucson Arena - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hogs Cap Regular Season with Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Recalls CJ Motte and Dante Salituro from Allen - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Marlies Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Star Teams - Toronto Marlies
- Barracuda Trainer Will Leonard and Sara Leonard Celebrate Birth of Baby Girl Twins - San Jose Barracuda
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 27 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jonne Tammela, Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Alec McCrea to One-Year Contract, Assign Nagle to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Carter Verhaeghe Named 2018-19 AHL First Team All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- Carr Named to 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Benson and Starrett Named to 2018-19 AHL Second All-Star Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack's John Gilmour Earns First-Team AHL All-Star Honors - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Defenseman Zach Redmond Named to 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team - Rochester Americans
- Ethan Prow Named 2018-19 AHL Second Team All-Star - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ness Named 2018-19 AHL Second Team All-Star - Hershey Bears
- Nedeljkovic, Poturalski Named to AHL All-Star Teams - Charlotte Checkers
- 2018-19 American Hockey League First and Second All-Star Teams Named - AHL
- Thunderbirds Close 2018-19 Season with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Reassign Eric Comrie to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Declan Chisholm - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Recall Goaltender Adam Morrison from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Senators Announce Fan Appreciation Details - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Capitals Recall Ilya Samsonov from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Reign Strikes for Biggest Win of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Secure Home-Ice with 4-3 Win at San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners Edged in Bakersfield as Pacific's Playoff Race Thickens - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Drop Regular Season Home Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Currie Notches a Hat Trick as Condors Win 40th Game, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Drop Midweek Tilt to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Snaps Slide with 7-3 Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1 - Laval Rocket
- LaLeggia Leads Rampage to Comeback Win over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears
- San Jose Pro Eaters, Joey Chestnut and Matt Stonie, Faceoff at First-Ever Barracuda Waffle-Eating Challenge
- San Jose Barracuda Reveal 5th Anniversary Team
- Barracuda Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Condors 4-3