Heat Drop Midweek Tilt to Ontario
STOCKTON, Calif. - Mason Morelli netted his first goal as a pro as the Stockton Heat dropped a 7-2 decision to the Ontario Reign Wednesday Night at Stockton Arena. The game went into the third period with a tight 3-2 score, but four unanswered in the final 20 minutes by the visiting team produced the lopsided final tally. The Heat got the game's first goal, Curtis Lazar scoring on the power play for his 20th marker of the season, but Ontario answered with three straight to take a 3-1 lead late in the second period. Morelli's score brought Stockton back to within striking distance, but a 4-0 third period in favor of the Reign produced the 7-2 final. The game snapped a streak of six games of Stockton limiting its opponents to three or fewer goals, its longest such run of the season.
W: Cal Petersen (29 shots, 27 saves)
L: Tyler Parsons (30 shots, 23 saves)
Three Stars: First - Zack Mitchell (2g,1a), Second - Austin Strand (2g), Third - Aidan Dudas (2a)
Final Shots: STK - 29, ONT - 30
Power Plays: STK - 1-5, ONT - 1-6
- The game was Brett Pollock's 100th in the AHL.
- Curtis Lazar hit the 20-goal mark with his score in the first period.
- Mason Morelli's goal in the second was his first professional goal.
- The Heat saw a season-best streak of six games of holding opponents to three of fewer goals snapped in the contest.
- Stockton is now 5-3-1-0 on the year against Ontario and finishes the season 3-1-1-0 against the Reign at Stockton Arena.
The Heat head to Ontario for a Friday night tilt before returning to Stockton on Sunday for the final game of the season, Fan Appreciation Night, at 5 p.m. against the Bakersfield Condors.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2019
- Monsters Stumble, Fall to Checkers 4-3 in Overtime - Cleveland Monsters
- Saarela Seals Charlotte's 50th Win with OT Winner - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners Look to Clinch Playoff Berth this Weekend at Tucson Arena - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hogs Cap Regular Season with Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Recalls CJ Motte and Dante Salituro from Allen - Iowa Wild
- Toronto Marlies Named to 2018-19 AHL All-Star Teams - Toronto Marlies
- Barracuda Trainer Will Leonard and Sara Leonard Celebrate Birth of Baby Girl Twins - San Jose Barracuda
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 27 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jonne Tammela, Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Alec McCrea to One-Year Contract, Assign Nagle to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Carter Verhaeghe Named 2018-19 AHL First Team All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- Carr Named to 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Benson and Starrett Named to 2018-19 AHL Second All-Star Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Wolf Pack's John Gilmour Earns First-Team AHL All-Star Honors - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Defenseman Zach Redmond Named to 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team - Rochester Americans
- Ethan Prow Named 2018-19 AHL Second Team All-Star - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Ness Named 2018-19 AHL Second Team All-Star - Hershey Bears
- Nedeljkovic, Poturalski Named to AHL All-Star Teams - Charlotte Checkers
- 2018-19 American Hockey League First and Second All-Star Teams Named - AHL
- Thunderbirds Close 2018-19 Season with Three-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Jets Reassign Eric Comrie to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Release Declan Chisholm - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Recall Goaltender Adam Morrison from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Senators Announce Fan Appreciation Details - Belleville Senators
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Capitals Recall Ilya Samsonov from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Reign Strikes for Biggest Win of the Season - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Secure Home-Ice with 4-3 Win at San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Roadrunners Edged in Bakersfield as Pacific's Playoff Race Thickens - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Drop Regular Season Home Finale - San Diego Gulls
- Currie Notches a Hat Trick as Condors Win 40th Game, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Drop Midweek Tilt to Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Snaps Slide with 7-3 Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1 - Laval Rocket
- LaLeggia Leads Rampage to Comeback Win over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.