P- Bruins Defeat the Sound Tigers 8-6
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 8-6 Friday night in the first game of their home-and-home series. The P-Bruins got two goals from Paul Carey along with goals from Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Gemel Smith, Ryan Fitzgerald, Mark McNeill, Victor Berglund and Jordan Szwarz while Zane McIntyre made his 43rd start of the season in net.
The Bridgeport Sound Tigers started off strong when Grant Hutton netted a goal only 1:07 into the game. Chris Bourque and Travis St. Denis earned assists on the power play goal and Bridgeport took a 1-0 lead. Providence answered back when Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson lit the lamp at 2:16 with his fourth goal of the season, assisted by Ryan Fitzgerald. The P-Bruins tied the score 1-1 and came back for more with two power play goals by Gemel Smith and Fitzgerald. Smith tallied a goal at 9:40, with helpers from Paul Carey and Stuart Percy. Shortly thereafter Fitzgerald potted one at 10:30 for his ninth goal of the season. Forsbacka Karlsson and Cooper Zech earned the assist on the play that gave the Bruins a 3-1 lead. Bridgeport attempted to make a comeback when Matt Lorito scored at 12:35, assisted by Kyle Burroughs, but the Providence held their 3-2 lead into the first intermission.
Three minutes into the second period, Mark McNeill netted his eighth goal of the season off an assist by Tanner Pond. Bridgeport struggled to keep up as Providence kept the puck in their offensive zone. Only a few minutes later Paul Carey tallied a goal at 4:31, with helpers from Jordan Szwarz and Jeremy Lauzon. Victor Berglund potted his first career goal at 5:16, assisted by Smith and Peter Cehlarik as the P-Bruins poured it on the Sound Tigers and made it a 6-2 lead. Bridgeport stayed motivated and Josh Ho-Sang netted a goal at 11:09. Grant Hutton received the helper on the play that kept the Sound Tigers alive, but trailing by three. Bridgeport's Otto Koivula tallied another goal at 17:34, assisted by Chris Bourque and Josh Ho-Sang, but Providence brought a 6-4 lead into the locker room.
Jordan Szwarz potted his 22nd goal of the season at 6:59, with helpers from Carey and Lee Stempniak as the P-Bruins added on to their lead 7-4. The Sound Tigers' Robert Carpenter netted his first goal of the season shortly after that at 8:56, assisted by Ryan Bourque and Ho-Sang, to make it a two-goal game. Bridgeport continued the unlikely comeback when Koivula tallied his second goal of the night at 15:01. Steve Bernier and Travis St. Denis earned helpers on the play that made it a 7-6 game. However, Paul Carey put the final nail in the coffin when he netted his second goal of the night unassisted at 18:14. Providence put up a season-high eight goals and defeated Bridgeport 8-6.
McIntyre stopped 30 shots while Jeremy Smith stopped 24 shots. Providence was 3/4 on the power play and 4-5 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins head to Bridgeport for their second to last away game of the regular season Saturday night when they rematch the Sound Tigers at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2019
- Texas Defeats Rockford in 2-1 Thriller - Texas Stars
- Cleveland Defeats Laval 3-2 with Late Third Period Goal - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in Weekend Series Opener - Rochester Americans
- Glass Scores, But Wolves Fall - Chicago Wolves
- Hutton and Carpenter each score first pro goals in setback - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Toronto Marlies Postseason Bound for Eighth Straight Season - Toronto Marlies
- Muse, Penguins Blank Binghamton, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Complete 3-2 Comeback Win over Laval Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Dominate Amerks, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- P- Bruins Defeat the Sound Tigers 8-6 - Providence Bruins
- Bears Battle to 3-1 Win over Senators - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Outlast Comets in Defensive Battle - Utica Comets
- Bears Sneak Past Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Blank Devils, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Hogs Sign Kurashev & Osipov; Gilbert Reassigned from Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- San Diego Gulls Sign Hunter Drew to Amateur Tryout - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Add Defenseman Connor McDonald on ATO - Ontario Reign
- Will Pelletier Named Rockford's IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - Rockford IceHogs
- Gilbert Recalled by Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Playoff Picture: Friday, April 5 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Looking to Bounce Back in Utica - Toronto Marlies
- Capitals Recall Nathan Walker from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Bid on IceHogs Wizard Night Jersey - Rockford IceHogs
- Panthers Loan F Jayce Hawryluk, F Dryden Hunt and G Sam Montembeault to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Alex D'Orio to ATO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Flyers Recall D Mark Friedman from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Hosting Exclusive Experience for New and Returning Season - Rochester Americans
- Senators Reassign Balcers, Wolanin to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Sign Eric Sweetman to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Look for First Ever Wins in Charlotte against Checkers this Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Welinski to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Amerks Annual Fan Appreciation Night Presented by UR Medicine Sports Medicine Set for Friday, April 12 - Rochester Americans
- Joel Hofer Joins Rampage on Amateur Tryout - San Antonio Rampage
- Coyotes Assign Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Calen Addison & Jordy Bellerive Join Penguins on ATOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Bears, April 5 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Senators, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Battle Bruins in Home-And-Home Series - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Beat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2
- Vladar Records Shutout as P-Bruins Defeat Laval Rocket, 3-0
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-2