Kahkonen Blanks Moose
The Manitoba Moose (20-25-0-0) lost a 1-0 decision against the Iowa Wild (25-14-3-3) on Friday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
Manitoba tested Iowa's netminder Kaapo Kahkonen with 17 shots on net during the first period and held the Wild to only six attempts. Midway through the period, Kristian Reichel from down low found Andrei Chibisov in the slot who tried to gain the lead for the Moose however he was unable to capitalize.
Midway through the second frame, Luke Johnson ripped a shot passed Mikhail Berdin on a Wild man advantage however the puck went off the post. Manitoba was awarded three power play opportunities during the period but they were unable to take advantage of their chances.
With 3:57 gone in the third period, Nico Sturm tipped in Gerald Mayhew's attempt to give Iowa the 1-0 advantage. The Wild pressed Manitoba in the third frame and registered 16 shots on net. Despite Berdin only allowing one goal against that's all it took for Iowa to secure the 1-0 victory.
The Moose registered 17 shots in the first period alone compared to Iowa's six
Mikhail Berdin has only allowed one goal against in each of his last two starts
Berdin made 28 saves on 29 shots this evening. The netminder has only exceeded 28 saves on the road on four other occasions this season
Manitoba has killed off 23 of their opponents last 25 power play opportunities What's Next?
The Moose take on the Iowa Wild on Saturday, Jan. 25. Puck drop is scheduled for 6 p.m. The matchup will be broadcast on TSN 1290 and moosehockey.com/listenlive.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Jets Claim Anton Forsberg off Waivers
- Jets Reassign Seven Players to the Manitoba Moose
- Jets Sign MIkhail Berdin to a Contract Extension
- Moose Launch Sixth Annual "Share the Warmth" Campaign
- Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose to Run Virtual HFC Campaigns Throughout November