Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win
SYRACUSE - The Binghamton Devils erased a 2-0 deficit and came away with a 4-3 shootout victory on the road Friday night over the Syracuse Crunch inside Upstate Medical University Arena.
Cal Foote gave the Crunch an early lead just 49 seconds into the game. The puck deflected off a skate out to Foote and he blasted a wrist shot over the right shoulder of goaltender Cory Schneider for the 1-0 lead. The goal was Foote's fourth of the year from Cory Conacher and Dominik Masin.
On their second shot of the game, the Crunch added to the lead at 2:48 of the first frame. Taylor Raddysh moved the puck into the right circle and lifted a shot by the right arm of Schneider for a 2-0 lead on his 11th of the year. Assists were credited to Masin and Alexander Volkov and Syracuse took that lead into the intermission.
In the second, Binghamton scored twice to tie the game. Nathan Bastian followed up with a rebound goal after Michael McLeod was stopped by goaltender Spencer Martin. Bastian lifted the puck over the left shoulder of Martin for his ninth of the year from McLeod and Nate Schnarr at 14:27 of the second.
The Devils tied the game at two as their power play concluded late in the second period. Dakota Mermis fired a shot just inside the blue line that Schnarr tipped by Martin from the hash marks to even the score. The goal was Schnarr's third of the year and first with the Devils with assists from Mermis and Fabian Zetterlund and the game was tied heading to the third, 2-2.
Joey Anderson gave the Devils the lead 10:44 into the third period on the power play. Brett Seney fired the puck off the skates of Anderson and into the net from the left circle for his 14th of the year. Assists on Anderson's power-play goal were given to Seney and Nick Merkley for a 3-2 lead.
With the net empty late in regulation, Alex Barre-Boulet ripped a shot over the right shoulder to tie the game and force overtime. The goal was his 18th of the year from Mathieu Joseph and Cameron Gaunce at 18:21 of the third.
After no scoring in overtime, Schneider stopped all seven attempts in the shootout and Egor Sharangovich put home the winner for a 4-3 victory.
The Devils are back home tomorrow as they host the Laval Rocket at 7:05 p.m. Fans can arrive and enjoy Happy Hour specials and LIVE music from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the concourse between Section 19 and 20. Also, take advantage of $5 24-ounce Labatt draft beer!. Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils goaltender Cory Schneider vs. the Syracuse Crunch
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Islanders
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Islanders
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.