Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks
Rochester Americans v Laval Rocket 1.24.20rrJanuary 20, 2020rrPhoto By Micheline V/ Rochester AmericansROCHESTER - The Rocket travelled to Rochester hoping to build on their 7-3-0 record in their last 10 outings and solidify their spot in the playoffs against the Americans, who had only registered two victories in the same number of games. However, the visitors' plan was spoiled as the home side captured an important 5-2 win Friday night at Blue Cross Arena, edging the Rocket in shots 35-33.
Rochester has won all three games between the two teams this season. C.J. Smith continued to have success against the Rocket, logging four points (2 G, 2 A) in three games against his division rivals. First star Andrew Oglevie tallied two goals in the win. With secondary assists, Phil Varone and Alexandre Alain have each tallied five points in their past seven outings (2 G, 3 A).
The Amerks were off to a 2-0 lead after the first period, dominating the shot clock 14-8. On the powerplay, Oglevie logged his 11th goal of the season. Stationed in the mid-slot, the second year forward deflected John Gilmour's shot from the blue line 12:32 into the game. The home side got lucky on the second tally. A failed clearance attempt by Keith Kinkaid cost the Rocket as the puck bounced off defenseman Josh Brook and wound up in the net. Sean Malone was credited with the goal.
The Rocket picked up the pace in the second frame, but the Amerks found the back of the net once again. Smith took advantage of a juicy rebound to triple the lead. The visitors finally got their names on the scoresheet less than a minute later. Swedish defenseman Gustav Olofsson scored his first goal as a member of the Rocket, controlling a puck that bounced off the back board before skillfully placing it past Johansson.
Scott Wilson padded the Amerks' lead, deflecting a shot past Kinkaid with less than 10 minutes left in the third period. Earning a pair of powerplays late in the game, including a 5-on-3 for 25 seconds, the Rocket decided to pull Kinkaid for an extra attacker. Kevin Lynch tipped a bouncing puck on the man advantage to bring the score to 4-2 but Oglevie scored in the empty net to lead the Amerks to victory.
"I actually think we started fairly well. We came out and put our identity on the game... then they took over a little bit with [a] powerplay. It's obviously huge getting that first goal for them, they get that momentum and they get the crowd behind [them]. We need to find a way to play better and consistently," said Christian Folin after the game.
LAV: Olofsson (Folin, Varone) | Lynch (Brook, Alain)
ROC: Oglevie (Gilmour, Redmond) | Malone | Smith (Borgen, Asplund) | Wilson (Bryson, Mittelstadt) | Oglevie
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 1/2 | IN/PK: 2/3
ROC | AN/PP: 1/3| IN/PK: 1/2
LAV: Kinkaid (30/34) | ROC: Johansson (31/33)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
1. Oglevie - ROC 2. Malone - ROC 3. Johansson - ROC
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Canadiens Loan Josh Brook to the Krefeld Pinguine
- American Hockey League Targeting February 5 as Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Xavier Ouellet to a Two-Year Contract Extension
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on a One-Year Contract with Forward Brandon Baddock
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Noah Juulsen to a One-Year Contract Extension