Wolves Tarnish Stars
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Chicago Wolves' defense has ranked among the American Hockey League's stingiest for the last six weeks.
Spearheaded by Oscar Dansk - the AHL's reigning Goaltender of the Month - the defense delivered again Friday night as the Wolves rallied to earn a 2-1 victory over the Texas Stars at H-E-B Center.
Veteran forward Brandon Pirri and rookie defenseman Jimmy Schuldt scored for the Wolves (21-18-3-2) while Dansk rejected 19 of 20 shots as Chicago strengthened its hold on third place in the Central Division.
The Stars (20-19-2-2) opened the scoring at 7:13 of the first when they linked several quick passes together and found defenseman Gavin Bayreuther open above the left faceoff circle. Bayreuther stepped into a slap shot that whizzed through traffic into the back of the net.
Pirri snapped a lengthy Wolves scoring drought when he delivered on a breakaway to make it 1-1 with 23 seconds left in the second period. Defenseman Jake Bischoff claimed the puck in the defensive slot and whistled a long stretch pass between two Texas defensemen to find Pirri rushing into the offensive zone.
The Wolves produced the game-winner at 2:30 of the third period - three seconds after their power play expired. Center Nicolas Roy spied Schuldt open above the left circle and teed him up for a blistering one-timer. Schuldt's shot whisked past goaltender Jake Oettinger, whose vision was blocked by 6-foot-2, 230-pound Wolves forward Keegan Kolesar.
Dansk (15-6-2) improved his record to 11-0-2 since the calendar turned to December. Oettinger (9-10-2) posted 21 saves in the loss.
The Wolves play their final game before the AHL All-Star Break at 7 p.m. Saturday against Texas. Chicago returns home on Friday, Jan. 31, to face the Milwaukee Admirals on Craft Beer Night. For tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Islanders
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Islanders
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.