Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins
CHARLOTTE, NC - Charlotte's hot streak on home ice came to a halt Friday night as they dropped a 5-4 contest to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
The Checkers' offense came in waves throughout the night. After falling into a 3-0 hole early on in the second, the home side rattled off a pair of strikes over an 84-second span, then added a Gustav Forsling blast minutes after that to erase the deficit and even the score.
The visitors responded just prior to the buzzer to re-establish their one-goal lead, then nabbed a quick power-play goal - their third of the night - only eight seconds into the third to extend their advantage.
The Checkers made a final push down the stretch, narrowing the lead to one thanks to a power-play tally from Dave Gust, but they couldn't quite find the equalizer as Casey DeSmith skated away with 36 saves and the victory. David Warsofsky, the brother of Checkers coach Ryan, recorded a season-high four points and was named first star.
Coach Ryan Warsofsky on the game
We just couldn't get to our game soon enough. We gave up some pretty Grade-A chances, but I did like our third period. We pushed and had some good chances to tie it up. We even had chances when it was 3-3 to take the lead and Kuokkanen hits the post. We couldn't get to our game.
Warsofsky on coming back from 3-0 down
I thought we got the big goal. Gauthier's goal on the power play helped us settle into the game a little bit. It was a matter of time and we just needed to get one. You could feel on the bench that if we got one we were going to find our game. It was just a little too late.
Warsofsky on special teams play
We've got to be disciplined, and when we're shorthanded we've got to be better on the PK, and on the five-on-three we've got to score on that. Specialty teams needs to be better. I know we had a couple of goals on it, but it still needs to be better.
Warsofsky on tomorrow's rematch
We're going to turn the page. Try to finish this home stand and this first half on a high note and get the job done tomorrow.
Warsofsky on an injury to forward Colin Markison
He's going to be out long term. We'll have to grab someone, probably not for tomorrow but for the road trip after the break.
Roland McKeown on the game
We just started slow. We kind of chased it, and when you get a couple of goals in your own net, you're coming from behind against a team that knows how to defend. It thought that was the story of the game.
McKeown on early offensive chances
A big part of the game is burying those opportunities. You've got to bear down when you're around the net, and that's every one of us, myself included. We had some chances early on and we don't put it in, and then it becomes a different hockey game.
The Checkers' five-game win streak came to an end. This was their first home loss since Dec. 21. They have still won 11 of their last 13 and 15 of their last 19 ... The Checkers are now 2-1-0 against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, with the road team winning each game ... The Penguins extended their point streak to four games (3-0-1) ... David Warsofsky's four points were a season high ... Before recording five points tonight, Penguins forward Cole Cassels had nine points in 32 games ... Jake Bean extended his point streak to five games (2g, 6a) ... Morgan Geekie extended his point streak to eight games (5g, 5a) ... The Checkers scored a power-play goal for the eighth straight game. They are 12-for-30 (40 percent) during that time ... Forwards Brian Gibbons, Stelio Mattheos and Kerby Rychel missed the game due to injury ... Defensmen Cavan Fitzgerald and Derek Sheppard were healthy extras.
The Checkers wrap up their home stand tomorrow night with a 6 p.m. rematch against the Penguins for NASCAR Night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2020
- Condors Upend League Leading Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield Spoils Roadrunners' Return Home - Tucson Roadrunners
- Eagles Erupt in Third Period to Defeat Rampage, 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Kahkonen Blanks Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Ford's Overtime Goal Extends Griffins' Point Streak to Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Lose 5-2 to Amerks - Laval Rocket
- Oglevie Scores Twice in 5-2 Win over Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Cruise by Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Come Back to Edge Stars 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Gulls Gain Point on OT Road Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Tarnish Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Kuhlman Scores Two Shorthanded Goals, P-Bruins Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Devils, 4-3, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Come Back Again In 4-3 Shootout Win - Binghamton Devils
- St. Denis scores lone goal; Gibson returns from injury - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Beleskey, Shesterkin Key in Wolf Pack Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- O'Reilly Notches Milestone 600th Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Upend Marlies 5-2 in Front of 12,255 Fans - Cleveland Monsters
- Cassels, Warsofsky Erupt in Penguins' 5-4 Win at Charlotte - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2nd Period Struggle Does in T-Birds against Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Fall Just Short in 5-4 Loss to Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Moulson, Bears Charge Past Thunderbirds in Milestone Night - Hershey Bears
- Four Unanswered Goals Sink Comets in Loss to Belleville - Utica Comets
- Sens Finish Road Trip with Victory in Utica - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Open Back to Back in Cleveland Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Twenty Visually Impaired Persons to "Try Blind Hockey" on Sunday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 39 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kelly, Labate, Bringing Different Dimension to Sens Lineup - Belleville Senators
- IceHogs Unveil Player Designer Hat Series - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Goaltender Zach Fucale from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Hershey Bears Record Breaking Teddy Bear Toss Featured on ESPN's E:60 - Hershey Bears
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Andrew Shortridge from the Allen Americans - San Jose Barracuda
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Heat Host Reign in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack, T-Birds this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sam Anas Added to 2020 AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Iowa Wild
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 24, 2020 vs. Laval Rocket - Rochester Americans
- Iowa's Anas Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 24 - Belleville Senators
- Abt, Kim and Brown Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton
- Lorentz Leads Checkers to OT Win against Cleveland
- Checkers Clamp Down Cleveland in 2-1 Win